Some Holiday Welding Projects (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've mentioned in a couple of threads being buried in metal fabrication building stuff for Tracy to give to friends for Christmas presents. A number of you have asked to see some of the stuff. I've been taking pics for several weeks and it took a few minutes to get them all together and organized.

A few weeks back before the weather turned nasty, we were sitting down on the pool deck enjoying a couple of barley pops. Tracy came up with this brain storm that I needed to make Christmas trees and planter boxes. Uh...sure thing dear...whatever you say honey...y'all know the drill. Ok, planter boxes don't sound all that difficult but how the heck am I gonna make a tree? Went to one of the job sites here and snatches a decent sized piece of OSB and started trying to lay out a design for the tree. Nothing worked...not even close. Got frustrated after a couple hours and did what I usually do: just start cutting steel and piecing it together.

Tree #1. it is a little over 3' tall and about that wide. A lot of pieces and a lot of welding in a very small area.
001.jpg

End caps in to finish it off and painted.
002.jpg

003.jpg

Tracy installed the lights with zip ties. Her idea....not mine.
004.jpg

I did 6 of these and SWMBO thought she heeded a bigger one....a LOT bigger. this one is over 6' tall
014.jpg

Lit up.
015.jpg

Now we move on to planter boxes. this is the first one. I just kinda shot from the hip. (You can see the lines on the OSB where I was trying to lay out the trees)
005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

The next planter. Similar concept, different approach, and a larger unit.
012.jpg

013.jpg

And a third planter box. Totally different design. I've now been contracted to do two more of these in different sizes.
016.jpg

017.jpg

018.jpg

Now of all things, snowflakes. No comments from the peanut gallery please. This was not my idea, I'm just the support mechanism. This is the first one. No progress pics. Both of these are 32" tall and 32" wide.
009.jpg

The second one. I don't know what happened to the finished pics. It's a different design with more cutting and more welding.
011.jpg

Finally and alas, Tracy had to have a bigger and better snowflake of course. Here is her 3 1/2' tall version.
019.jpg

All told I've completed 12 projects and have the two more planter boxes pending. This ladies and gentlemen is why I've been pretty much absent for a couple weeks. Sure am glad i ordered about 3Xas much steel as she thought I'd need when this melee started though. I came home with over a half ton of plate and square tubing, a large portion of which has been cut up. Got enough left to finish the last couple projects but I just knew she was gonna come up with more than the 3 things she first said she wanted me to make. Women are like that...at least she is :emoji_laughing: Oh well, time for a beer or twelve. Y'all take care and apologies for the long post but some of y'all asked for it :emoji_wink:

Robert

Very nice! My Dad loved building things out of metal. He once put together about an 8' Christmas tree, added lights, installed on top of the 100' water tower, and lit it up, all be himself, in our little town (he was Supt of City Utils).

Was all the time building hoists and other tools and devices to make tasks much easier.

Some truly fantastic craftsmanship displayed in your efforts Robert, so creative and well executed! I showed your work to Jan, who knows I used to have a oxo-acetylene set up and that I know how to run a puddle, I could see her wheels begin to spin. Once I pointed out the garage heat, nothing would ever happen in summer months, tank storage danger, and that my creativity level ended at drawing a stickman, she came back to reality. Some really fine work there, you should be proud of that talent! RAY

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow! That’s pretty awesome work! Man, you are busy🤣 Spreading Christmas cheer and making SWMBO is always a worthwhile effort though!

Robert as always , great talent and fantastic projects. They look amazing. Love them all
I bet the planters have some weight to them.
How come you have not made Tracy any iron Snowmen, give me your # and I will call her and put a bug in her ear . You all know with trees and snowflakes you need a 6 foot snowman. lol

Great work Robert

David

I don’t know how you are able to get so much done. Do you sleep?
Awesome work there Robert!
Al

Nice work Robert. I really like the last planter. Your skills are amazing.

Point for sure
Chris

I've mentioned in a couple of threads being buried in metal fabrication building stuff for Tracy to give to friends for Christmas presents. A number of you have asked to see some of the stuff. I've been taking pics for several weeks and it took a few minutes to get them all together and organized.

A few weeks back before the weather turned nasty, we were sitting down on the pool deck enjoying a couple of barley pops. Tracy came up with this brain storm that I needed to make Christmas trees and planter boxes. Uh...sure thing dear...whatever you say honey...y'all know the drill. Ok, planter boxes don't sound all that difficult but how the heck am I gonna make a tree? Went to one of the job sites here and snatches a decent sized piece of OSB and started trying to lay out a design for the tree. Nothing worked...not even close. Got frustrated after a couple hours and did what I usually do: just start cutting steel and piecing it together.

Tree #1. it is a little over 3' tall and about that wide. A lot of pieces and a lot of welding in a very small area.
View attachment 650523

End caps in to finish it off and painted.
View attachment 650524
View attachment 650525

Tracy installed the lights with zip ties. Her idea....not mine.
View attachment 650526

I did 6 of these and SWMBO thought she heeded a bigger one....a LOT bigger. this one is over 6' tall
View attachment 650527

Lit up.
View attachment 650528

Now we move on to planter boxes. this is the first one. I just kinda shot from the hip. (You can see the lines on the OSB where I was trying to lay out the trees)
View attachment 650529
View attachment 650530
View attachment 650531
View attachment 650532

The next planter. Similar concept, different approach, and a larger unit.
View attachment 650534
View attachment 650535

And a third planter box. Totally different design. I've now been contracted to do two more of these in different sizes.
View attachment 650537
View attachment 650538
View attachment 650539

Now of all things, snowflakes. No comments from the peanut gallery please. This was not my idea, I'm just the support mechanism. This is the first one. No progress pics. Both of these are 32" tall and 32" wide.
View attachment 650533

The second one. I don't know what happened to the finished pics. It's a different design with more cutting and more welding.
View attachment 650536

Finally and alas, Tracy had to have a bigger and better snowflake of course. Here is her 3 1/2' tall version.
View attachment 650540

All told I've completed 12 projects and have the two more planter boxes pending. This ladies and gentlemen is why I've been pretty much absent for a couple weeks. Sure am glad i ordered about 3Xas much steel as she thought I'd need when this melee started though. I came home with over a half ton of plate and square tubing, a large portion of which has been cut up. Got enough left to finish the last couple projects but I just knew she was gonna come up with more than the 3 things she first said she wanted me to make. Women are like that...at least she is :emoji_laughing: Oh well, time for a beer or twelve. Y'all take care and apologies for the long post but some of y'all asked for it :emoji_wink:

Robert
Beautiful work. I sure wish i could weld like that!!!!

You are devoted provider, Robert! Definitely stepping up to the call of duty.
Enjoy the beer 🍻🍻

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky