Soft shell Crab Piccata

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Super easy, Bear, that's about all there is to it. And the taste is not only out of this world, it's quite unique, unlike anyhting else.

Thanks 73,
Great, I think they have them now and then at one of my stores (Giant or Weis'). I often thought, "I wish I knew more about them."
Does it matter if they're frozen ones, if that's all they have?

Bear

Thanks 73,
Great, I think they have them now and then at one of my stores (Giant or Weis'). I often thought, "I wish I knew more about them."
Does it matter if they're frozen ones, if that's all they have?

Bear
If that's all you can get. When I was younger my dad and I would go trawling (shrimping) together and we would always catch a few soft shells in the net. We would freeze what we didn't eat fresh, but that's (in my opinion) one of those things that's going to be a whole lot better before reaching the freezer.

If that's all you can get. When I was younger my dad and I would go trawling (shrimping) together and we would always catch a few soft shells in the net. We would freeze what we didn't eat fresh, but that's (in my opinion) one of those things that's going to be a whole lot better before reaching the freezer.

OK, Thanks!!
Now I'll watch for them.

Sorry for the HiJack Richie, but I had to finally ask!!!

Bear

OK GUYS!
I Just watched a few YouTubes on my big screen, and it looks almost too easy to clean these little guys:
#1 Cut across the front, removing the eyes & mouth.
#2 Lift both sides of the top soft shell, pull the gils front & cut them off.
#3 Flip them over & cur off that bottom thing that folds back.
#4 And one of them said to drain the sacks under the top shell?????

Is that about it?? Any Tips???

Bear
That is all their is to it.There is no fishy smell when you cook them.
Richie

Richie here's one for you several years ago we were camping on the eastern shore of Va, and there was this couple from Canada there. They had gone out on the pier and caught some hard crabs had no idea what to do with them or how to cook them. So I loan them my cooker and showed them how to steam them and then showed how to pick out and eat them. So we were talking about the crabs and the man said soft crabs I hear are also good how long would we Have to cook these to get a soft crab. I explained to them where the soft crab came from.

Warren
Richie Thanks for the like.

Warren

Richie Thanks for the like.

Warren

Warren I thought I left it yesterday,wife wanted to know what was so funny threw me off my thoughts.
I still laugh when I read that,I had deep fried hard shell crabs in NC once tasty but a real PITA eating
Richie

Brother I do hope you find them,they are a taste treat.
Richie
I have to agree fried hard crab bodies is no fun to me either same way with crab soup don't want hold bodies or claws in there either just the meat. I mean if you are eating soup why do you want it dripping off your elbows. :confused:

Warren

Richie I got it we over looked this why low and slow.:rolleyes: :D
Yup that works on everything else to get soft and tender.

Hope you caught more.

Warren
Warren I thought I left it yesterday,wife wanted to know what was so funny threw me off my thoughts.
I still laugh when I read that,I had deep fried hard shell crabs in NC once tasty but a real PITA eating
Richie

Reactions: tropics
Richie I got it we over looked this why low and slow.:rolleyes: :D
Yup that works on everything else to get soft and tender.

Hope you caught more.

Warren
That is funny thanks for the laugh.Took me a minute to figure it out.
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky