Smother sturgeon in honey & brown sugar and smoke the H out of it!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slapaho_injun

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2018
Minnesota
BF7DA975-7B6F-4BA3-AB88-17DD28405131.jpeg
This turned out fantastic ! 24 hr salt brine. Apple wood. Whole fish, filets and steaks.

487C3DC7-5424-4238-B27A-105CE79A4E46.jpeg
10ECE547-B758-43B5-9379-AE1809EF30E4.jpeg
Thanks guys ! I’m really loving the new smoker! Going to do three pork butts and some baby backs Friday , for a family get together Sunday with 20+ people here. This will be my second such pork smoke. No sweat.

Reactions: browneyesvictim
Great looking smoker. Looks like it's seen a lot of use for a "new" smoker.

It looks real happy with all the pork in it.

This smoker is just about to turn two months old. Was finished in 4/8/18. I can't say enough about how happy I am with it. Runs perfect! I think this sturgeon yesterday was my 7th successful smoke with it.

The neighbors just cant help themselves. I had three neighbors on the back deck, arriving magically when I pulled the goods out of the box. Almost seems they were watching for that particular moment. Good times!

Reactions: one eyed jack
This smoker is just about to turn two months old. Was finished in 4/8/18. I can't say enough about how happy I am with it. Runs perfect! I think this sturgeon yesterday was my 7th successful smoke with it.

The neighbors just cant help themselves. I had three neighbors on the back deck, arriving magically when I pulled the goods out of the box. Almost seems they were watching for that particular moment. Good times!

It sure looks to be a very successful smoker build. Congratulations.

I think that I'd be right there with the rest of your neighbors if I lived in smelling distance.

Reactions: slapaho_injun
Took my wife’s two uncles out fishing today and after a mediocre day of fishing..... I busted out the smoked sturgeon and a jar Of the northern pike I pickled recently......redemption was all mine!!!

image.jpeg
It's handwritten crudely for my own notes but you are welcome to copy down what you want of it. Works for just about any fish. I've done carp, sucker, salmon , walleye, catfish & sturgeon with pretty much the exact same method.

Hi,
When you mix brown sugar+honey and hot water cay you please give me amount that I need to put?

I've always wanted to fish for sturgeon. But, I'm even more interested in how they taste. I'm hoping they don't taste like chicken. What other types of fish do they resemble in flavor/texture? I've only had one type of fish that was smoked/salted. And that was blind robin way back in the day with my dad.

Hi,
When you mix brown sugar+honey and hot water cay you please give me amount that I need to put?
I’ve done the mix two ways so far.

#1 - mix in a bowl .....one quart of pure honey or pure maple syrup, (not the store bought sugary stuff.) .......with a 2 lb bag of brown sugar ..... stir it up real well. Consistency of cake mix just before it goes into the pan......then use a bbq brush to brush the mixture onto the fish after the firs hour. (Makes an awful mess and wastes a lot of the mix)

#2 (my favorite) mix in a bbq designated spray bottle .....one cup of pure honey or pure maple syrup, (not the store bought sugary stuff.) .......with one cup of brown sugar ..... add hot water and shake well to combine everything. I leave a little room in the bottle and shake it real good before I fill it all the way up. ......then squirt or spray the mixture onto the fish after the first hour. I may go thru two bottles in a smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky