smoking venison or beef burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elkaddict

Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Saskatchewan Canada
I have been smoking venison and beef burger of late and am not using any type of cure only spice.

I am getting the meat to the 165 temp but wondering if this is a health concern or am I ok as it is never eaten cold and is stored in the refrigerator.

I am new to this and dont want to make anyone sick.

I smoke venison all the time, never over 140 degrees tops. When I am making burgers mixing venison with hamburger, again I shoot for 140 degrees. Never have had an issue with it.

As long as you are smoking the Burgers at temps above 200*F and are getting them done in under 4 hours you will have no issues. 

Clostridium Botulinum the bug that generates the Toxin that causes Botulisim needs temperatures above 40*F  but less that 140*F to grow. They also do best in a low or no Oxygen environment, like that inside a smoker. So using a Hot smoker to get the meat hot will not let the CB to grow. CB is killed by Nitrite, that is why with Sausages, and other meats, that need to Cold Smoked for a long time, temps less than 100*F and 4 or more hours, we add Cure #1. Hope this helps...JJ

JJ is spot on. I take my venison polish and bratwurst up to 152° slowly so not to make the casings sweat, then submerge them is a ice water bath to cool them down quickly which prevents the sausage from shriveling up. Using cure #1 or instacure #1 which is the same thing prevents Botulinum which can be deadly....
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky