Smoking snob

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2008RN

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Sweet Home, Oregon
Think I have become a snob. The wife and I went to a County fair Saturday night. Mama wanted to get BBQ pork and Brisket. I was thinking "Really, after what we have been smoking". But I did not say a word. We shared the food. After the wife had a bite of both she said "This isn't even close to being good BBQ, your smoking is much better. It really was not worth the cost."

Sometimes it smart to keep your mouth shut.

Last time I went out for BBQ for about 4 years ago to try a local Food truck with a Smoker attached. That was fairly good food.

I am the same way, we went to a local BBQ place because everyone was raving about it, let’s just say I won’t be going back.

The pulled pork tasted like they dumped liquid smoke in whatever liquid they had it soaking in to keep it moist, the brisket was from a week or so earlier that they pulled out of the fridge and threw in the microwave, and I am quite certain the none of it was cooked onsite. From the bar I could see into the kitchen and spotted a fryer and 3 microwaves

Note to self don’t go to a BBQ place that owns a microwave

Reactions: kawboy
Am the same way doesn't make you a snob at all! Trust me once you start smoking and perfecting how you do it the BBQ coming from local joints just isn't the same. I met a client at a local chain (fast food type) restaurant for lunch a few weeks ago that I used to love. The PP was dry. The sauce was over-sugary. A $7 plate wasn't worth $2 IMO. At least the hush puppies were good!

Best compliment ever!
We almost never go out to eat because its a letdown in comparison. BBQ in particular - local BBQ in SLC (sorry to anyone that offends) is meh at best. I would go back to Pecan Lodge in Dallas tho. Spendy but good...still for the costs and hassles of eating there - I'll make a prime brisket and share at home for a fraction of the cost and make it just how we like it.

Out of all the different joints I've tried bbq at there have only been maybe 3 that I thought had truly BAD food. I'm kind of a foodie, so I can accept that not every place I eat is gonna be the style that I prefer, and that's the fun part for me. It's very rare that I walk out of a place going "wow mine is so much better", but I do compare whatever I'm trying to what I've done or had in the past.

But the compliments are always nice to hear from someone who isn't myself. :P

That was a Great compliment, RN!!!
We don't have any BBQ Joints around here that I know of, but it's been many years since I have even checked a menu for the price of their Prime Rib!!

Bear

I'll have to agree. Knowing how to cook and using quality ingredients in that cooking has made me a tough critic. More often than not on the way out I'm thinking, I could have done better.
Most high end/quality, read EXPENSIVE, places are good. Some way better than mine. I probably spend as much cooking as I would at one of them. But they're not as close as my kitchen.

This is of course just IMHO

Everyone innately believes their own stuff to be as good or better but there IS a level when you've done the work and have the experience that you truly are better. Reached that level with making beer and think I am there with most of my smoking now too. So, yeah, total snob here now.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Everyone innately believes their own stuff to be as good or better but there IS a level when you've done the work and have the experience that you truly are better. Reached that level with making beer and think I am there with most of my smoking now too. So, yeah, total snob here now.

Soon as I get my wife to get rid of crap in the garage I would love to get into beer making. Not trying to high jack the thread but what kind of beers do you make?

Reactions: zwiller
I used to make my own beer years ago. Loved to make dark dopple bock. One time I screwed up and either it wasn't done fermenting or I added to much sugar for the secondary ferment in the bottle which gives it a nice head. I opened up a bottle and bam it exploded. It sent dark beer all over my kitchen and into the next room. I had a light colored cockatiel that got drenched. He actually had beer dripping off of him. Needless to say the wife was not happy. Major cleanup, walls, floors, ceiling everything was covered. Decided I had enough beer making. I now took up sausage and cheese making. No more explosions.

Yeah I hear ya.
There are only 2 bbq joints I go to that have good bbq. I don't even get the brisket at one of them and brisket is king here in TX.

I have also eaten at Franklin's BBQ and have to admit it was the best brisket I have ever eaten.
INTERESTINGLY though, it was not so much better than brisket I make, that family members make, or that I can get my hands on here in TX from other people making it.
It was good to know that what I can get my hands on isn't that far off from the best in the business :)

Franklin's was good enough for me to go again even with the showing up super early and waiting for hours to eat. I appreciate the best of something.
I also grill a damn good steak but I also will not hesitate to throw down on a steak in a fancy steak house when the occasion calls for it... I just have to prepare to blow a wad of cash when going to III Forks Steakhouse in Dallas but damn it's the best steakhouse I've been to of the many across the US and the numerous steakhouses in a couple of other countries! :emoji_blush:

Usually you can choke down what Dickies puts out.

You're a better man than me. Although we have one in town, Dickies is NOT some place I'll go. Tried them a couple of times when I was working still, a co-worker liked them. Said no more after a couple of times.

Yah Dickie's will make a turd.
It's a just a notch above fast food and I'll do it if we go out for lunch at work and that is what is picked but I don't really go out of my way to ever eat there.
If choice between Dickie's and hardcore fast food I'll definitely pick Dickie's but would rather just wait and get to a better food spot :emoji_blush:

Early in my marriage, I figured out how to roast a prime rib on a Weber, indirect method... It helped that I worked for a meat company that serviced hotels and restaurants and was a Certified Angus Beef distributor, and all were hand selected by me.

Still, if the wife ever orders prime rib out, it rarely meets her expectations. Costco is typically my prime rib source now.

Best compliment ever!
We almost never go out to eat because its a letdown in comparison. BBQ in particular - local BBQ in SLC (sorry to anyone that offends) is meh at best. I would go back to Pecan Lodge in Dallas tho. Spendy but good...still for the costs and hassles of eating there - I'll make a prime brisket and share at home for a fraction of the cost and make it just how we like it.

Have you tried R&R BBQ in SLC? I got to sample some of their food at a competition and it was really good! Just don't know how that might transition to their restaurant though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky