Smoking Saturday for Easter Sunday?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncwolf

Original poster
May 1, 2017
Chapel Hill, NC
Hi All, I have 2 legs of lambs planed for lunch Easter Sunday. As I reevaluate quantities one is probably enough, which gives me the opportunity to smoke the other if I can do so on Saturday. Is this possible and if so what is the best why to store it and reheat it without losing anything?

The smoking plan: Simple rub of SPOG with some thyme and rosemary over some fruit wood to a temp of ~143.
After that do let it rest and refrigerate whole, slice and re-warm in the oven before serving?

Has anyone ever done this?

Smoked leg of lamb is outstanding. Your rub sounds very good. When I smoke lamb I take it to an IT of 140 and definitely let it rest. If you plan on reheating later the way I do it is in the sous vide. 135 for 2 hours and it's good to go without any drying out. No sous vide you can water bath it in a pot on your stove. Just monitor the temp with a thermometer to keep it from getting too hot. Sear in some cast iron slice and serve. No mint jelly though. That's just nasty.

LOL. I should have said that if you are putting the lamb in the sous vide or a water bath it should be vac packed first otherwise the results will be quite disappointing.

Smoked leg of lamb is outstanding. Your rub sounds very good. When I smoke lamb I take it to an IT of 140 and definitely let it rest. If you plan on reheating later the way I do it is in the sous vide. 135 for 2 hours and it's good to go without any drying out. No sous vide you can water bath it in a pot on your stove. Just monitor the temp with a thermometer to keep it from getting too hot. Sear in some cast iron slice and serve. No mint jelly though. That's just nasty.

I have a leg marinating as we speak, I was going to put it on the grill but by golly the thought of smoked never crossed my mind. May I ask what temperature should the smoker be at and approximately how long would it take?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky