smoking ribs...and help me pick 2nd entree please...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

onebadmofo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Been smoking meat for about a year but have mainly stuck with pork butt, ribs, and roast ham so far....

Anyway, got some friends in town for the Giants-Vikes game on MNF and plan on doing some ribs...but I want to do another entree as well.

Need some ideas...was thinking a whole chicken but I've never done one....

Anyway, give me some idea's my brotha's....

PS-any tips appreciated!

Do some meat balls. You can wrap then in bacon and dust them with rub (Moinks), or you can stuff them with bacon, cheese, jalapeño, etc (fattie). Either way serve with No 5 Sauce.

I find finger food is good for football munchies.

Last edited:
Quartered yard birds are easiest, if you want try go the bird route, IMHO. I've smoked whole birds with numerous methods for prep and smoking, but never really get the great bird experience I've been looking for, so to go with quartered birds really does provide opportunity for much better temp control in the finished pieces. Whole birds look great coming out of the smoker, sure, but the quality when it hits the plate is what really matters to me. With them quartered, you can cook to your desired internal temp and control it so much easier than a whole bird. I often find myself second-guessing in an attempt to prevent the breast from over-cooking and drying out while getting thighs up to temp when I smoke whole birds. If you're keeping the skin on, and want a crisp skin (who doesn't), you have a myriad of choices to achieve this. You can do some pre-cook prep with using butter on/under the skin, rub with olive, canola oil (or your preference) before applying dry rub, or, smoke to 20* or so below your desired finished temp and then toss on a hot grill for searing (basically a reverse sear). You can smoke @ around 300-325*, which shortens smoke reaction time quite a bit, but will give a crisper skin. Lastly, start your smoke at a normal low & slow of around 225* for longer smoke reaction time than a hot & fast smoke will achieve, then crank the temp to around 375* when the birds reach about 125* I/T...this will crisp the skin better by the time they reach finished temp. The higher smoke chamber temps of course depend on your smoker, and if it can reach those temps, such as propane fired. BTW, minimum recommended internal temps for poultry is 165*, but I prefer closer to 170* in the breast and 172* or so in the thighs...lots less pink near the bone this way. Oh, if you want to sauce/glaze the birds, do this near the finish of cooking, especially if using high heat to crisp the skin more, as the sugars in your glaze/sauce will scorch easily with high heat, and will become very evident if you use a grill to sear for the finish.

OK, for other entree ideas, CSRs (country style ribs) are another easy treat...either pork or beef (cut your own from a beef chuck roast...I do that quite a bit). If smoke chamber temps will be 225-240*, give them a 2.5-1.5-0.5 method (for a baseline), depending on thickness...more time for thicker cuts or lower chamber temp. You can sauce these as well, if you wish.

Have you considered smoked appetizers, such as ABTs or stuffed mushrooms? They're a little tedious and time-consuming to put together, but well worth the effort.

How about smoked sides like cabbage? Goes great with smoked pork, btw...I'm doing some up for dinner tomorrow to go along with pork CSRs. Then, there's always the infamous smoked beans...I've seldom run across anyone who didn't love smoked beans...unless you make yours from scratch, nothing is much easier than smoked beans.

Have a great smoke-filled game-day!!!

Eric

I'm with Eric but in your situation, would do just Leg Quarters. Hard to mess up and easier to eat One Handed sittin' in front of the Big Screen...They got a Handle! You can also go with a non-smoked second entree. Jambalaya is an easy one pot meal so is Chili. Around here Mac n Cheese is an entree and goes great with Ribs. Just needs a Pot o' Greens and maybe some Cornbread. I have a great Crab Cake recipe on here as well...JJ

Hot wings.
Get some party wings, inject gem with Cajun butter and got sauce, either rub them or douse them with the remainder of the Cajun butter sauce and hot sauce. Throw them into your smoker at 225* for 1.5 - 2 hours. I promise, you won't regret them.

As stated, football is for finger food.

Man my mouth is watering fellas...I picked up some chicken thighs today and will give that a shot...but I kept your suggestions and the meatball one sounds incredible...do you roll the meatballs out yourself or how do you buy them and just wrap in bacon??  I'm not a gourmet cook but I'm learning as I go....trial and error! :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Definitely make your own Meatballs, unless time is an issue...JJ

Definitely make your own Meatballs, unless time is an issue...JJ
+1. Roll your own! That way you know what's in them. Meat, egg, breadcrumbs, etc. No alphabet soup of chemicals, dyes, preservatives and fillers.

About 1 to 1.25 oz of meat mixture and lightly roll. Walla = meatball. Get the kids involved. They'll love it.

BTW - make your own chicken nuggets, too. 10 X better than fast food and made with chicken tenderloin meat - not scraps.

Now, can someone help me down off this soap box? Thanks.

Last edited:

Here's. A quick crasH-course and italian meat ball recipe froim my sig line:
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/fo...ked-meat-balls-spaghetti-sauce-recipes-q-view

Eric
Recipe sounds good. I use about 4X more onion and add a Cup of Pecorino Romano, but otherwise we have similar recipes...JJ
Thanks JJ. Huh, that's interesting....I've only made that dish once...your additions would definitely be great!!! I was just telling my youngest daughter about 10 days ago that I need to revisit this recipe, along with a few others from back in those days. I was an outdoor cookin' maniac back then...anything that crossed my mind was fair game. Lots of fun putting all those creations together, and great eats!!! Well, it still is fun and great eating, too, but I have slowed down a lot since then. I have been stock-piling my smoke woods for the past couple of weeks, though (I'm up to about 70-75lbs now), so this winter could turn into another smoking frenzy for me. I'm catching every weekend I can right now to spend cooking for the family for at least one day, just so we all have an excuse to get together for part of a day and share a meal and some laughs.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky