Coffee Ribs and Charro Black Soy Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Yesterday's dinner.

I bought a bottle of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub with the intent of trying it on some beef, but I wanted some ribs and I came across a coffee sauce recipe over on Susie's site so that set this in motion. First thing, hats off to tallbm tallbm for all the R&D on the beans. They came out awesome, even better the next day.

Made these and the sauce on Friday. Used a ham hock for the meat. Tasty, but next time I might try something else just for kicks.
Everyone in the pool for a two hour pressure swim!

20230120_151246.jpg

The sauce recipe called for coffee, but I stumbled across these a while back at the Coast Guard Exchange and it made a fine substitute to plain old pedestrian coffee in the sauce.

20230120_122639.jpg

Nice color and depth of flavor. I'm not a super taster by any means but the coffee added a depth to the sauce that was quite noticeable. I don't over analyze, either I like things or not but again there was something to this simple sauce that made it pretty exceptional IMHO.

20230122_064557.jpg

These got rubbed up in the morning with a mustard binder. Side note.. The Arby's horsey sauce thread prompted me to buy a bottle yesterday morning on my store run and I'd be a liar if I said the idea of using the horsey sauce as a binder didn't cross my mind. Maybe next time...

20230121_134051.jpg

The pellet pooper has been lonely so it gets the nod. Set these on hi smoke for an hour before cranking up to 265. The sweet tater had been setting on the counter for about a week and I figured what the hey... lets just throw it on and when its done it's done. It actually rode the whole way with the ribs and came out at about 200 IT.

20230121_135223.jpg

Saturday TV while the ribs were smoking. Love that show.

20230121_161156.jpg

Apparently this is the last picture of the ribs before saucing and slicing. Probably a little too much chef's helper involved. This was right before saucing the bottom, flipping and finishing the job. after about 30 minutes to let the sauce set up I tossed them in a warm oven to rest so I could take the hounds out for a walk.

20230121_171021.jpg

Plate shot. Tender and tasty ribs, and those beans were killer. I eat my roasted sweet taters plain as they need nothing else.

20230121_183832.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Yesterday's dinner.

I bought a bottle of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express rub with the intent of trying it on some beef, but I wanted some ribs and I came across a coffee sauce recipe over on Susie's site so that set this in motion. First thing, hats off to tallbm tallbm for all the R&D on the beans. They came out awesome, even better the next day.

Made these and the sauce on Friday. Used a ham hock for the meat. Tasty, but next time I might try something else just for kicks.
Everyone in the pool for a two hour pressure swim!

View attachment 655422

The sauce recipe called for coffee, but I stumbled across these a while back at the Coast Guard Exchange and it made a fine substitute to plain old pedestrian coffee in the sauce.

View attachment 655421

Nice color and depth of flavor. I'm not a super taster by any means but the coffee added a depth to the sauce that was quite noticeable. I don't over analyze, either I like things or not but again there was something to this simple sauce that made it pretty exceptional IMHO.

View attachment 655428

These got rubbed up in the morning with a mustard binder. Side note.. The Arby's horsey sauce thread prompted me to buy a bottle yesterday morning on my store run and I'd be a liar if I said the idea of using the horsey sauce as a binder didn't cross my mind. Maybe next time...

View attachment 655423

The pellet pooper has been lonely so it gets the nod. Set these on hi smoke for an hour before cranking up to 265. The sweet tater had been setting on the counter for about a week and I figured what the hey... lets just throw it on and when its done it's done. It actually rode the whole way with the ribs and came out at about 200 IT.

View attachment 655424

Saturday TV while the ribs were smoking. Love that show.

View attachment 655425

Apparently this is the last picture of the ribs before saucing and slicing. Probably a little too much chef's helper involved. This was right before saucing the bottom, flipping and finishing the job. after about 30 minutes to let the sauce set up I tossed them in a warm oven to rest so I could take the hounds out for a walk.

View attachment 655426

Plate shot. Tender and tasty ribs, and those beans were killer. I eat my roasted sweet taters plain as they need nothing else.

View attachment 655427

Thanks for looking!
Man that looks like a great meal! Glad you enjoyed the beans.

Heck of a bean dish with all that amazing flavor in addition to all that protein and so little in carbs and calories aye?

Feel free to try all kinds of different cured meat cuts for the beans. I find pork necks to be the best but lots of bones. Most of the really good flavor options have lots of bones (turkey butts, pork necks, etc.)

Awesome looking plate and I vote for the Horsey Sauce binder next time!

Man that looks like a great meal! Glad you enjoyed the beans.

Heck of a bean dish with all that amazing flavor in addition to all that protein and so little in carbs and calories aye?

Feel free to try all kinds of different cured meat cuts for the beans. I find pork necks to be the best but lots of bones. Most of the really good flavor options have lots of bones (turkey butts, pork necks, etc.)
I'm not a hardcore carb or calorie counter but I do pay attention, and these are excellent all the way around. I lost almost 30 lbs just by changing when and what I ate so this helps to make it easy. No shortage of pork necks around here so maybe I'll try that next time. I might half the recipe though... that makes a good bit of beans.
Awesome looking plate and I vote for the Horsey Sauce binder next time!
It's gonna happen the next round of ribs. Why not?

Reactions: kilo charlie
I'm not a hardcore carb or calorie counter but I do pay attention, and these are excellent all the way around. I lost almost 30 lbs just by changing when and what I ate so this helps to make it easy. No shortage of pork necks around here so maybe I'll try that next time. I might half the recipe though... that makes a good bit of beans.

It's gonna happen the next round of ribs. Why not?
Congrats on the near 30lbs!

Yeah it does make quite a bit of beans.
I eat on it all weak as a main meal over shiritaki rice adding a little Knorr brand chicken tomato bullion (I don't use real rice...carbs).

So over some rice with a little salt and maybe some salsa or whatever you like to church it up, it makes a whole 1 bowl meal that tastes amazing!

That is usually what I do with such a large pot. I eat on it for the better part of a weak and man it tastes so great and fulfilling the whole time without hardly any carbs or calories :D

Reactions: mr_whipple
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky