• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking pork neck bones to put in a pot with dried beans

butchdon

Joined Aug 22, 2015
Just looking for an old fashioned method of smoking pork neck bones to add to a pot of beans, NOT eat bu themselves.Nothing complicated.

Just trying to replicate what we've bought at the store, or what folks used to bring up North after visiting family in the soulth.

Thanks,

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014

Just looking for an old fashioned method of smoking pork neck bones to add to a pot of beans, NOT eat bu themselves.Nothing complicated.

Just trying to replicate what we've bought at the store, or what folks used to bring up North after visiting family in the soulth.

Thanks,
The way I smoke meaty bones for beans is to put them into the pit at 225 with good smoke and let them roll until about done, then drop them into a pot of beans, or let them cool and freeze for later.

Last edited:

butchdon

Joined Aug 22, 2015
I read that neck bone post earlier today. Those look ready to eat as-is. What I was looking for was something with a "harder" smoke, like what you get at the supermarket. The meat doesn't come off until they are slow cooked in some liquid like a pot of beans.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014

I read that neck bone post earlier today. Those look ready to eat as-is. What I was looking for was something with a "harder" smoke, like what you get at the supermarket. The meat doesn't come off until they are slow cooked in some liquid like a pot of beans.
You don't have to make them that tender,pull them earlier.

Richie

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014

A lot of the "smoked" bones and such at the store have been drenched in liquid smoke.

I'm not sure where you are, but if you can keep the pit temp under 40°, cold smoke them for a long time.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
Definitely not the way to go if you need something quick. However if you get a big batch of bones (any, not just neck) is worth the effort - you end up with a big load that you can just pull out of the freezer when needed. When I get my annual pig I do all bones this way. Other than nodules, nasty tissue nothing sees the trash can.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.