• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

smoking mahi

meyring81

Joined Mar 14, 2011
What temp and how long should I smoke the mahi filets I have? I am going to be using them in a fish dip  .

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Smoke for an hour and then finish in the oven or skillet till it flakes. Fish takes smoke quick and you can overpower it .

if you have enough try a few pieces and pull at 1 hr   &  2hrs and see which is better.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Have not smoke Mahi, but I have grilled it over charcoal and it is awesome! I mix soy sauce and sesame oil 50/50 with a splash of lemon juice, then let the mahi sit in that for about 30 minutes, toss it on a charcoal grill and get a good hot sear on it as it cooks (it cooks fast!). Super tastey, fast, and easy!

If you want more of a smokey flavor do the above, but about 4-5 minutes before you put the fish on put a chunk of "flavor" wood on you coals, it will ad a nice light smoke flavor without over powering the fish.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
What J said. ^^^ I've done it with Italian dressing . Grill it hot and quick. Good stuff!! :)

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I let it go on the smoker at 225 with hickory until done. For a rub I use EVOO & cajun seasoning. It makes a great fish dip or meal.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
You can put them directly on the rack, just make sure your racks are clean and give them a quick spray of Pam right before you put the fish on. Mahi is a very dense meat so it holds together really well.

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.