smoking mahi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smoke for an hour and then finish in the oven or skillet till it flakes. Fish takes smoke quick and you can overpower it .

if you have enough try a few pieces and pull at 1 hr   &  2hrs and see which is better.

Have not smoke Mahi, but I have grilled it over charcoal and it is awesome! I mix soy sauce and sesame oil 50/50 with a splash of lemon juice, then let the mahi sit in that for about 30 minutes, toss it on a charcoal grill and get a good hot sear on it as it cooks (it cooks fast!). Super tastey, fast, and easy!

If you want more of a smokey flavor do the above, but about 4-5 minutes before you put the fish on put a chunk of "flavor" wood on you coals, it will ad a nice light smoke flavor without over powering the fish.

I let it go on the smoker at 225 with hickory until done. For a rub I use EVOO & cajun seasoning. It makes a great fish dip or meal.

You can put them directly on the rack, just make sure your racks are clean and give them a quick spray of Pam right before you put the fish on. Mahi is a very dense meat so it holds together really well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky