Smoking It Southern Style, A Throw Down Entry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Smoking It Southern Style

Smoked/Grilled Chicken
Smoked/Grilled Chicken Wrapped with Double Thick Pork Belly and Sweet Vidalia Onion
Grilled Sweet Corn with Butter, Sweet Vidalia Onion and Rosemary
Smoked Blackeyed Peas with Smoked Pork Neck Bones
Cajun Fried Whole Okra
Apple Dump Cake

Smoked Blackeyed Peas with Smoked Pork Neck Bones

2# of pork neck bones with lots of meat on them
Four 15oz cans of plain Blackeye Peas
1 large Sweet Vidalia Onion, chopped
Smoke neck bones at 250'F over Mesquite, letting the blackeye peas catch all the drippings
After about four hours I put the neck bones into the beans for the rest of the cook, i.e. the chicken
I left these under the chicken to catch all their drippings too... Pork-n-Chicken = Yummy!

Smoked/Grilled Chicken
Smoked/Grilled Chicken Wrapped with Double Thick Pork Belly and Sweet Vidalia Onion

Rub chicken with Montreal Chicken and rub Pork Belly with my favorite homemade rub
Wrap chicken with pork belly, insert pieces of Sweet Vidalia Onion under pork belly and smoke at 350'-375'F over Mesquite.
After about an hour of smoke and with an IT averaging 125'F I moved them to my grill to finish crisping the pork belly and skins.

Out of the Smoker

And Onto the Grill

The Finished Product

Grilled Sweet Corn with Butter, Sweet Vidalia Onion and Rosemary

Lay a cob on aluminum foil, add a pat or two of butter, Sweet Vidalia Onion and some fresh Rosemary
Wrap tightly in foll and grill for 15-20 minutes while rolling every so often to get all sides

Cajun Fried Whole Okra

Soak Okra in Buttermilk, dredge in seasoned flour, dip in eggwash, dredge in seasoned cornmeal and then deep fry golden brown

Apple Dump Cake

Butter a disposable 9x13 aluminum tray, dump in two cans of apple pie filling and level
Evenly dump one package of Yellow Cake mix over filling
Thoroughly over cake mix with thin pats of butter, use at least 1.5 sticks of butter if not 2
Bake at 350'F for 45 minutes to an hour, until golden brown on top

The Money Shot

Last edited:
OMG!!! Can I get one of those plates??? Fantastic looking!!
Too late for this one, but I fire up the pits almost weekly.
Thanks for compliments.
Perfect, just in time for lunch.

I am hungry.
I was hungry till I tackled those plates... Then it was nap time.
Looks delicious!

Al
Thanks, it was.
Chilli Beautiful job
Richie
Too kind, thank you.
A perfect post laced with great recipes and wonderful qview deserves a point!

Disco
Dang'it Disco, I went to the lake and got wet.
Note to self: Perfect post does not equal walk on water perfect.

Thanks Bro, appreciate the compliments and Point.
You do some of the best cooks.
Now that is a huge compliment around here, thank you sir.
Tasty and busy job on this one!
The really neat thing with this meal is that everything but the Okra was very easy and quick.
Thank you for the Point!

Looks Beautiful CR !!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Mighty Tasty!!
drool.gif

I could inhale some of that right now!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Wow! Impressive! I am officially placing my order! You got robbed on votes. That's all I've got to say.
You're too kind, but your entry had the advantage of Thinking Outside The Box uniqueness, and you won righteously.
I thank you for the compliments and Point.
Looks like someone has trouble counting to three! [grin]
Dessert isn't a side dish, but danged if it isn't one of the best courses of a meal. :biggrin:
That's some tasty food, right there. I plan on ripping off several of them.
No ripping off needed, given freely... Thanks for the Point.

Great entry Chile!  IMHO, if that corn had had roasted kernels, that plate would have ran away with it!  I roasted my corn and it broke my heart to cut those beautiful kernels off the cob and put them in grits.  
th_crybaby2.gif

Mike

Great entry Chile!  IMHO, if that corn had had roasted kernels, that plate would have ran away with it!  I roasted my corn and it broke my heart to cut those beautiful kernels off the cob and put them in grits.  :th_crybaby2:

Mike
Thanks, I know what you mean about roasted corn.
One of my favorite meals is skillet roasted corn & meat made from leftovers.

Southwestern Pan Fried Corn

Leftover Corn, taken off cob
Leftover Meat, I used shredded Chicken this time
Onion, chopped coarse
Pan fried in just a touch of EVOO.
Spiced with Sea Salt, Cumin, Cayenne and Smoked Paprika

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170205_123111744_zps5h3dzllm.jpg.html

Reactions: ab canuck
Thanks, I know what you mean about roasted corn.
One of my favorite meals is skillet roasted corn & meat made from leftovers.

Southwestern Pan Fried Corn

Leftover Corn, taken off cob
Leftover Meat, I used shredded Chicken this time
Onion, chopped coarse
Pan fried in just a touch of EVOO.
Spiced with Sea Salt, Cumin, Cayenne and Smoked Paprika

http://s152.photobucket.com/user/ChileRelleno/media/IMG_20170205_123111744_zps5h3dzllm.jpg.html
Awesome!  I will be grilling corn way more often!  That is super easy and tasty way to fix leftovers!  

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky