Smoking It Southern Style, A Throw Down Entry

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dang it Chile! I keep coming back to look at your black eyed peas! That photo just says it all!

I have never had them smoked or served anything like that. I do enjoy them every other way I've had em. Smoked BEP is now officially on my NEXT list! I cant say I have ever seen pork neck around here though, but I would imagine hocks, shanks or even rib meat would work as good alternates?

Oh... and I agree about the corn. Once I found out it was way better grilled with no foil (in husks either) It became a must have staple especially in the summer when the sweet corn is fresh around here. Just liberally brush (real) butter or herbed butter and salt/pepper on when grilling. Don't be afraid to get a little bit of flare ups from the butter. Those butter drip flames will lick the cobs with even more flavor!

Dang it Chile! I keep coming back to look at your black eyed peas! That photo just says it all!

I have never had them smoked or served anything like that. I do enjoy them every other way I've had em. Smoked BEP is now officially on my NEXT list! I cant say I have ever seen pork neck around here though, but I would imagine hocks, shanks or even rib meat would work as good alternates?

Oh... and I agree about the corn. Once I found out it was way better grilled with no foil (in husks either) It became a must have staple especially in the summer when the sweet corn is fresh around here. Just liberally brush (real) butter or herbed butter and salt/pepper on when grilling. Don't be afraid to get a little bit of flare ups from the butter. Those butter drip flames will lick the cobs with even more flavor!
I like a lot of meat in my beans, hocks don't cut it, shanks I've never tried in beans (Shanks too good for beans) and I've never been able to bring myself to pull a rib bone outta my mouth long enough to shred meat of into beans... Unless of course I shoveled beans in with it as I was chewing.
Meaty neck bones, cheap cuts of pork steaks, meaty hunks of brisket trimmings... Anything cheap, meaty and easy to smoke/grill over some beans, heck even just a big pile of fat trimmings adds awesome flavor dripping itself into'em.

Shanks, you mention shanks... I love shanks.
Gimme an oven full of venison shanks slow roasting in a deep pan of stock, with some veggies, herbs and wine... Heavenly.

Last edited:
Wow Chile, that is one beautiful plate of smoke.... Lots of time,effort and goodness.......... Point for sure

One of the first posts I open after joining the forum and this is what I see? I think I'm gonna like it here!
Welcome to SMF!
Pull up a seat, take recipes down and share some cooks/pics.
Real friendly group of Smoking/Grilling fanatics around here.

Thanks for the compliment... I just manage to blunder around the kitchen and not burn it down most times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky