Smoking in North Georgia

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokehowze

Original poster
Oct 28, 2017
Smoking in North Georgia

New here but not to the allure of mixing smoke and food. The grilling, smoking and cooking resume in the Smokehowze family is based on a long history of voice of experience learning and on-going knowledge seeking and spans a wide international food experience base. Always considered SMF a great source of information and ideas.

As I focus more on expanding my sausage making and meat curing (5 years + of serious and great sausage and cured meats), this is a new place to start actively hanging out. Always more and different meat adventures yet to be tackled when work and travel does not get in the way.

Besides my stable of gas, electric, and Kamado grilling, smoking and seafood boiling equipment, one of my on-going pet projects is converting cast off electric kitchen ovens into quality smokers that operate on 120 volts utilizing various external temperature controllers as the heat can be easily kept in any desired range below the 170 degree fat melt cutoff. Or even up to 275 for other meat smoking if desired. All you need is a good lower heating element in the oven itself, your idea of how a smoker ought to work for air flow and such and some mechanical skills and basic electrical knowledge. Too many pounds of sausage, jerky and other charcuterie to count have been smoked in my various oven conversions. As well as using them on occasion as dehydrators.

A few photos of my current conversion. Mrs. Smokehowze named this one the ‘Johnny Smoker’. I think you can figure out why. :D:D

1-Johnny Smoker - Copy.jpg

2-Inside View - Copy.jpg

Normally the door/window is smoked over. I had a major slip with my grease pan after a long smoke and wound up needing to do a good cleaning. So the window got transparent again (for a short while). LoL
3-Oven View - Copy.jpg

A nice fall smoking day.
4-Smoking Away - Copy.jpg

Reactions: noboundaries
texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a warm and cloudy November day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Cool Smoker

Gary

Last edited:
Cool! Well, maybe not while in use. What do you use for a wood tray? Thanks for joining, and look around the board.

The A-Maze-N Products maze for pellets or sawdust is one solution I use. Additionally, I have found some other linear straight ones in differing shapes on Amazon that also work well (the air holes are larger) and their cross sectional shapes and general dimensions let me position them more easily in the smoker on the rack's parallel wire grates when I have full set of racks and tight vertical spacing. Those ones let me get the smoke generator near my air inlet area so I utilize my cross flow ventilation approach to ensure full smoke anywhere in the cavity. With sawdust or pellets I always dry them first in Pyrex baking dish for 1 -2 carefully watched minutes as they will absorb moisture even in sealed storage and not burn so well.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky