Smoking in Japan 1 year later

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What a great assembly of pics from your smokes, and the Q is really appealing. Thanks for sharing it all with us here at the SMF. I can see that you'll have continued success in your Q'ing. It's all good my friend.

icon_cool.gif

I will tell you this that you have just thoughly impressed me with your smoking skills. Your food looks great and that first piece of pork sure looked like Wagu to me withall that veiny marbling. Your meatloaf looks to die for with a great smoke ring. How do your wife and her friends like this western way of smoking???

Wow CT those are some great pics you have there. I can see it really takes a big investment in time and $ for you to smoke there. Thanks for sharing with us 

MBalli3011:  Thank for the kind words!  You asked what my wife and friends out here think. Well they all are pretty shocked since I am known as a gearhead and can more often than not be seen covered in grease from working on my and others cars hahaha. So to say the least most people including myself, never expected me to be cooking!  I hear a lot of lip service about how I should try to sell the stuff here but I really dont have the slightest idea of how to go about selling it or opening a restaurant here in japan.  This having been my frist year of smoking I would like to get some more experience and try out all kinds of foods on the smoker.  The pork you mentioned was just a local pork from a farmers market.  I can get Wagyu and other high end beef or pork here in Japan but have not felt the need to spend high dollars on something that I will be adding lots of spices to.

Once again thanks for looking guys!

Last edited:
im seeing a link to your smoking...
rolleyes.gif
 the red wine...
icon_mrgreen.gif
 no seriously

nice set of qview that was awesome, the back ground looks so green like seattle country side.

some of those cookers looked like home wood burners used for heating or are they bbq's

all in all loved the whole thing , thanks for sharing

Great pictures CT !

Thanks a lot for showing!  I like the hands, feet, and knees on the cookers!

Bearcarver

Awesome looking stuff sir! I would love to visit Japan. I bet you get some awesome sushi. Those grills/smokers were really cool. I wish I could find someone to build me one in the shape of a squirrel! Thanks for sharing all your great smokes. Looks like you need to getter a bigger smoker or get a second one at the rate you're going!

First salmon smoke, using Sakura/ Cherry blossom wood chips.  I have since given up on these chips because they are a hastle to deal with. I now use split wood and or sometimes chunks
circuit theory,

You may already know this, but others might not:

At the risk of sounding like a know-it-all, it's good to avoid the gray (or dark) colored meat in most fish, like you see going up the middle of these two nice pieces of Salmon. That is the fat, and if there are any toxic substances in a fish (which nowadays there usually is), that is where it is stored. It usually scrapes off easily, and the color makes it easy to tell the good from the bad. This stuff is especially bad for pregnant women, and women of childbearing age should also avoid it.

Thanks again for the great pics,

Bear

Thanks for all the kind words everyone
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Now I need to get some of the more exotic meats and see what happens.

Cheese would also be fun to try this fall/winter.

I tried to smoke some Wasabi which is similar to horseradish I believe.

It did not turn out to great.

Does anyone have any tips on good ways to smoke root type plants like that?

I figure if i cold smoke Wasabi next time like cheese then I may be able to keep it moist still and then

whip up a batch of smoked Wasabi for Sushi/ Sashimi.
WOW... great busy year under your belt there!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

For the wasabi, I would suggest you take a page from Squirrels book. Cold smoke dry wasabi powder, then use that to make wasabi paste - she did it with flour.

Bearcarver:  Thank you for the info. I did not know that about the grey fatty area!  That is very useful information. 
Once again thank you!

PS: Noting your screenname on here, have you by any chance smoked bear meat?  I would be interested in how it went if you have.

Thanks

Tom

Bearcarver:  Thank you for the info. I did not know that about the grey fatty area!  That is very useful information. 
Once again thank you!

PS: Noting your screenname on here, have you by any chance smoked bear meat?  I would be interested in how it went if you have.

Thanks

Tom
Nope--I haven't had any bear meat since the 70s, and it was just roasted--I liked it.

"Screen-name"---I used to do my bearcarving with chainsaws.

Click on pic to zoom in:

837f0394_DSC00010.jpg

Great looking smoking sessions.  I agree, that pork in the first pic look like it had a lot of marbling!  I wonder what kind of pigs your local guy has...Where in Japan are you?  I spent a year in Okinawa.  Loved it there.

With all the obstacles you had to overcome, you sure produced some good looking Q. The smoker with the pig face was way cool!

CT

love the pics great smokes would love to see more pics of japan

you do not look japanese how did you end up there and  how long you ben there

are you going to stay

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky