smoking fresh ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bud feiock

Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
I purchased a 25 pound fresh ham that I intend to cure. I am going to smoke it in my Masterbuilt electric smoker. Any ideas on cooking time and temperature? Also any other tips. Thanks

Welcome to the madness!

Couple of questions before I attempt an answer...

Have you cured a green ham before?  If not, read the link below by DaveOmak on properly injecting around the bone with cure to prevent bone sour during the cure period.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/237094/curing-meat-by-injection#post_1480123

Not a question, but an observation here, you cannot cook the ham to time, you'll need to cook it until you reach the correct internal temperature.  All larger cuts of meat are going to cook differently.  I go to 150-155° for the internal temp of cured whole muscle pork.

Hopefully Dave will chime in as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky