• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking a Pork Roast

Joined Jul 27, 2016
I saw this on Pit Masters last night and want to give it a try

I make my own rub, thinking of adding cinnamon to the mix and lowering the garlic.  Not committed on the rub yet.  Still in the planning stage.  Might want to make an apple slaw and stuff the roast prior to smoking, again still in the planning stage

Any tips?  What temp, about how long?  Will be putting a tray of water under the meat to keep it moist.

I do not use a real smoker, I have a self modified charcoal grill that has done great so far.

Joined Jul 27, 2016
So for my rub, I am thinking Brown sugar, Cinnamon, garlic, black pepper.  Do a light rub.

Have the roast cut open and rolled out a bit,  take chopped apples marinated in apple brandy over night mixed with some of the rub mix.  Stuff and tie up the roast.

Do you think that will cause the roast to dry out? 

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
No need to worry about the roast not being moist unless you over cook it. Pork loins need to be pulled from the smoker when they hit an internal temp of 145.

I smoke with a dry pit and never have meat that is not moist.

Last edited:
Joined Jul 27, 2016
I happy to day that my roast came out great.  Might cook the apples before stuffing in the future.

36 hours soaking in Apple Brandy

My run was simple, brown sugar, garlic powder, cinnamon, and Thyme.

Apple soaked in Apple Brandy , brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Cooked for 4.5 hours, temp was 145.  Meat was perfect, except for by the bone, that was underdone. Not sure how to fix that.  I baked them for 15 minutes after I removed the other meat.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Looks delicious!

Great job!

Al

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Now that's how to cook a pork roast.  Looks great.  I imagine the apples were still a bit crunchy??

Gary

pit 4 brains

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Dec 16, 2009
Nice work unrolling that roast. Looks awesome!

Joined Jul 27, 2016
YEs, still crisp.  Next time I am thinking of cooking them first next time.

Also going boneless, at 4 hours the roast was done, but the bones still raw.

ryanloghry

Joined Nov 7, 2016
What temperature did you smoke ot at to get to 145 external in 4.5 hours? I just put my 6lbs. uncured "not a ham" pork in my Masterbuilt and having trouble finding out what temp to cook at for how long?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.