smoking a pekin duck, 1st time ever, but it does not have skin on , HELP"s and HOW"s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kel krause

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 30, 2013
I was given 2 one year old Pekins, would like to smoke them, my other half doesn't want to pluck can I still smoke them if he skins them. should I bring ? or dry season ? How long How hot ETc. Etc.????

Ok, yes you can smoke them skinless. I would Brine and a Bacon wrap would not hurt. Unless you need to feed a crowd, I would suggest cutting the Breast from the bone and Grill them to an IT of 140°F. They are best eaten Medium like a steak. The Legs will do well, low and slow until the meat is falling apart, around an IT of 180°F. You can then pull it and add some sauce of your choice. This way you get a couple of fine meals...JJ 

Thanks for the info , now can you suggest a brine , ?
439.gif

Sure...Been using this one below over 25 years...JJ 
439.gif

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran. Garlic

2T Gran. Onion

2T Dry Thyme

2T Black Pepper

1C Vinegar (Any)

1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix

1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional

1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smokng or Roasting...

Last edited:
Thank You , I will give it a try.. except for the crisping of the skin obviously..

Yeah, I figured you would see the instructions were written for Chicken. That is my Go To poultry brine. It is great on Pheasant, Quail and Wild Turkey...JJ

Reactions: kel krause
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky