SmokeRX - Electric Hot/Cold Smoker Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kbmckay

Original poster
Jan 15, 2020
Portland, OR
I've been lurking on the forums for a long time now and taken a lot of inspiration from the members. Through the years I've gone through a long list of grills, kamados, and pellet grills (currently have a green egg and a Memphis grill) but never had something that would hold a lot or give me the capability of cold smoking and temps less than 180 so I finally decided to jump in after i found an old custom salmon smoker with 5 racks measuring 57x27x20 on the inside on craigslist a few years ago. I decided to go electric with a separate smoke generator. I also wanted something that would allow me to go from cold smoking up to a high of at least 350 for birds (hate rubbery skin). After a bunch of experimenting I settled on 2 2600 watt stovetop canning elements for heat, a Smoke Daddy Magnum Pig as a smoke generator, 2 circulation fans from Auber Instruments, and Auber Instruments 7K Watt PID Controller kit, and 1 1/2" Rock Wool insulation panels. It's wired for 240 @ 30amps and if you're wondering why it's mounted to a cart, I can run it off my RV generator :-) as well as roll it around and use it when the weather is good or it's pouring rain (most of the winter). It's done now, a bit ugly as there is currently no outer skin but very functional. Sitting on it's cart, my son-in-law thinks it looks like some kind of hospital crash cart, hence the name SmokeRx.
Cabinet_Front.jpeg

Cabinet_Back.jpeg

Cabinet_Inside.jpeg

Controller_Front.jpeg

Controller_Bottom.jpeg

First try out decided to do some brisket.
Brisket on decided to let the fat trimmings drip on the meat below:
Brisket_On.jpeg

After 7 hours of smoke:
7_Hours_of_smoke.jpeg

Finished Product: Look at that Bark!
Done_at_13_Hours.jpeg

Perfect texture and moisture not sure about the lack of smoke ring but the flavor was awesome.
Finished_Brisket.jpeg

So far I've cold smoked cheddar and salmon and the results were awesome. Hot smoking I've done brisket and pork loin. So far no glitches to work out. This coming weekend will be the real test I've got about 80lbs of pork butt and brisket to do for an event at our church.

Many thanks for all of the ideas and recipes! This forum is awesome!

Reactions: tastetester
Thanks! The PID itself only outputs about 12v and manages the SSR. The output to the heating elements hasn't been modified at all but the PID does an amazing job of modulating the power. It will run full on until getting close to desired temp and then pulse sometimes quite rapidly until it hits desired temp. It's been holding temps to within a degree.

Gotcha. I believe I have the same PID as you (SMD-200) and I’m still tweaking it but it has been performing flawlessly. Keeps temps really tight as you said.

Gotcha. I believe I have the same PID as you (SMD-200) and I’m still tweaking it but it has been performing flawlessly. Keeps temps really tight as you said.
So far I’ve left it at the Auber calibration settings to really get a feel for how it responds but so far it’s been really good. Only thing I notice is that it gets to within about 30 degrees on desired temp and then slowly sneaks up on it. Could be quicker there but once on the temp it’s dead accurate and with the circulation fans I’m seeing only a couple of degrees varian between bottom and top rack. Auber does a really good job.

The lack of smoke ring is due to the fact that you're using electric as your heating source. Try playing around with a small cast iron pan with some wood chunks in it for the smoke ring. The smoke ring is pure vanity though.

Please please be sure to monitor the wood if you decide to try my suggestion out. We've already had one "I had a fire" thread today, wouldn't want to see another.

The lack of smoke ring is due to the fact that you're using electric as your heating source. Try playing around with a small cast iron pan with some wood chunks in it for the smoke ring. The smoke ring is pure vanity though.

Please please be sure to monitor the wood if you decide to try my suggestion out. We've already had one "I had a fire" thread today, wouldn't want to see another.
Interesting. Even with a good smoke generator you won’t see a smoke ring? Do you know why that is? Makes sense everything has had a great smoke flavor but couldn’t figure this one out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky