Smoker temp dropped - pork butt - safe to eat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2Scoops

Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Morning and happy super bowl weekend!

Put on a 10lb butt last night around 7pm in a MB Gravity 1050. My thermoworks signal wasn't plugged in all the way apparently and the battery died so my alerts didn't go off and wake me up. The charcoal ran out around 2:15AM. Looks like temps ran steady around 230 degrees and the butt temp reached 165 degrees.

When I naturally work up at 4:15AM I loaded up fresh charcoal. From what I can tell, the grate temp dropped as low as 150-160 and the butt temps remained at 165.

I assume this is safe to eat because the butt temps never dropped but wanted to confirm with those who know safe food standards before I feed my family.

Thanks all!

The butt made the 40 to 140 in 4 rule. At 160 everything is dead. At 165 that makes you safe even if you injected. IMO you only need to worry about surface bacteria if temps and times are not properly met (non injected). Always wash/rinse the whole muscle meat surface before prepping. When injecting your introducing bacteria and increase the risk for bacterial growth inside the meat when temps and times are not properly met.

Morning and happy super bowl weekend!

Put on a 10lb butt last night around 7pm in a MB Gravity 1050. My thermoworks signal wasn't plugged in all the way apparently and the battery died so my alerts didn't go off and wake me up. The charcoal ran out around 2:15AM. Looks like temps ran steady around 230 degrees and the butt temp reached 165 degrees.

When I naturally work up at 4:15AM I loaded up fresh charcoal. From what I can tell, the grate temp dropped as low as 150-160 and the butt temps remained at 165.

I assume this is safe to eat because the butt temps never dropped but wanted to confirm with those who know safe food standards before I feed my family.

Thanks all!
Whole muscle pork is edible at 145 but this cut will be pork flavored bubble gum until you cook it tender. Like chef jimmy J posted, if the meat is intact then the 40 to 140 in 4 hours doesn't apply because it's not a rule, it's a guideline and you apply variables. Intact whole muscle doesn't matter if it takes 4 hours or 24 hours to get to 140 IT since the bacteria is on the outside. The 40 to 140 in 4 hours is in regards to non intact whole muscle. Check out the several pinned threads at the top of the food safety forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky