Smoked Turkey From a Friend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
We celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving the beginning of October so I am finished with all the preparation my 'merican friends are just getting into. However, friends raised turkeys last year for the first time. They were thinking about getting a smoker and wondered if I'd smoke one of their turkeys. It was rough duty but you have to help friends out. It was the least I could do.

They brought over a beautiful 16 pound bird. They said the variety was a Bronze but I know nothing of such things. They had brined it in a simple salt, brown sugar, apple cider brine for 6 hours before bringing it over. I don't normally brine my birds but I know most people prefer it that way and I wanted them to see the most popular method.

I spatchcocked it. It is a bit of a struggle with a large bird but is worth it in my opinion.

SMF Turkey 1.jpg

I mixed a compound butter out of 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon sage and 1/2 teaspoon savory.

SMF Turkey 2.jpg

I made that up into a thin medallion and worked it under the breast skin.

SMF Turkey 3.jpg

I put 1 small onion, 1 carrot, 1 stalk celery and 2 cloves garlic in a roasting pan. I put the turkey on a rack above it.

SMF Turkey 4.jpg

I put the turkey in a 350 F smoker with Tennessee Whisky Barrel pellets burning. I smoked it for 1 hour and then added 1 cup of chicken stock to the pan and smoke for 2 1/2 hours more to an internal temperature of 160 F at the thickest part of the breast.

SMF Turkey 5.jpg

I brought it in and put it on a cutting board. I covered it with foil and let it rest for the internal temperature to get up to 165 F.

While it was resting, I drained the liquid off the pan and defatted it.

SMF Turkey 7.jpg

I put 1/3 cup butter in the pan and heated to melting. I added 1/3 cup flour to make a roux. I added the defatted liquid and 2 1/2 cups chicken stock and stirred to make a gravy.

SMF Turkey 8.jpg
SMF Turkey 9.jpg

At this point, She Who Must Be Obeyed squawked and said we had company so there are no sliced picks, just the finished bird.

SMF Turkey 10.jpg

The Verdict

OK, I have never really believed home raised turkey made that much difference. I was wrong. This was really flavourful and the juices just oozed out the meat. Sadly, my friends liked it and are getting their own smoker. I may have to pay for the next one!

Disco

Beautiful bird Disco! You should try wild turkey sometime(the kind that lives wild in the woods) :DYou'd like it too,maybe more than your friends bird.

Bill

Beautiful bird Disco! You should try wild turkey sometime(the kind that lives wild in the woods) :DYou'd like it too,maybe more than your friends bird.

Bill
Thanks, Bill! We have wild turkeys up here but I don't think there is a legal hunt on them. I have tried the wild turkey that comes in a bottle!

We have a spring and a fall turkey season here. HAH! That's why I stipulated the kind that lives wild in the woods

We have a spring and a fall turkey season here. HAH! That's why I stipulated the kind that lives wild in the woods
I am too lazy to hunt anyway. I rely on the generosity of my hunting friends!

That's a nice cockspatched or spatchcocked bird You stuff always looks fantastic :)

Gary

That's a nice cockspatched or spatchcocked bird You stuff always looks fantastic :)

Gary
Thanks, Gary! She Who Must Be Obeyed will assure you, not all my stuff looks fantastic!

Looks great Disco. So when you took it to them was it missing a leg, or a breast? It’s be hard to pass on picking a few bites of such a fine looking bird!

Looks great Disco. So when you took it to them was it missing a leg, or a breast? It’s be hard to pass on picking a few bites of such a fine looking bird!
They took 1/2 home and we had the other half for dinner so I got some. It was a fine bird!

That bird looks real good Disco.
I'm not much on skin but I just might have tried sime off that one. Now if I can just figure out how to get my MES up to 350 degrees ( without lighting a fire inside it) I might get my turkey skin finished like yours.
Gary

That bird looks real good Disco.
I'm not much on skin but I just might have tried sime off that one. Now if I can just figure out how to get my MES up to 350 degrees ( without lighting a fire inside it) I might get my turkey skin finished like yours.
Gary
Bear runs an MES and says he can get a decent skin if he cranks it up. Thanks for the compliment though! The skin was just right but I wonder how much of that is that it was a fresh local bird. It was obviously higher quality than I am used to and had a great fat/meat ratio.

Disco some nice neighbors you have,that bird has some great color
Richie
Thanks, Richie. They are good friends but they wanted to try smoked turkey as they are thinking of investing in a smoker. I think they are going to take the plunge and I will likely have to buy my next bird.

SOOO, Thanksgiving in October huh? You Canucks just have to be different .... :):);)

Nice looking bird. I've tried some heritage birds as well and liked them but I believe just getting a fresh bird from my local butcher is equally as good imho. So much better than the processed Butterballs (but I know there are others who disagree). Nice work on yours btw.....POINT WON !!!!

SOOO, Thanksgiving in October huh? You Canucks just have to be different .... :):);)

Nice looking bird. I've tried some heritage birds as well and liked them but I believe just getting a fresh bird from my local butcher is equally as good imho. So much better than the processed Butterballs (but I know there are others who disagree). Nice work on yours btw.....POINT WON !!!!
Har! I was wondering why my 'merican friends were different with Thanksgiving in November!

I agree with any fresh bird being great. I usually end up with a small one from the freezer section of the supermarket. Definitely not up to this bird!

Thanks for the point!

Great gobbler goodness Disco!
Wild turkeys are pests around my house. They don't cook like a "free-range" birds or even as close to a Butterball. They are only good for making jerky out of in my opinion. Not enough fat in them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky