Smoked Trout with Q/View

Discussion in 'Fish' started by chef willie, May 24, 2011.

1. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

A buddy says 'I got some fresh trout, cleaned...you want any?' What's a boy to do but fire up the smoker. Brined for 2 hours in a gallon of water with some kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic and Old Bay. Got the smoker steady at 190'ish and loaded up the AMNS with a mix of alder and cherry dust. Let them smoke away for about 2 hours. Opened the smoker door to a heavenly aroma and the beautiful sight of smoked fish. Life is good.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great looking trout Willie, bet they tasted great too...

3. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Man O Man that is some great looking trout.. Nice job

4. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice job on a nice batch of Trout !!!!!

I love it !!

Bear

5. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Man that trout looks good Willie! I went trout fishing as a kid up in Mich. every summer. That's one of the only things I miss down here. No trout streams.

6. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Awesome!!!

Yummie!!!

Craig

7. justpassingthru

justpassingthru Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Good lookin' trout Willie!

X2 on what Al said.

Gene

8. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Thats what I`m talking about.....thats a great buddy to have...![​IMG]

9. flash

flash Smoking Guru OTBS Member

No, but we do have plenty of Trout Rivers, Bays, Gulfs and Oceans Al. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Yea where your at. Here in the middle of the State we have the best bass fishing in the country, but no trout. I don't eat bass from Florida, never tried smoking them though, they may be good.

11. bearcarver

Why don't you eat Bass from Florida?----Too Big???

Bear

12. flash

I rarely freshwater fish anymore, atleast in Florida. Saltwater fish taste much better and seem to be more plentiful also. Bass in Florida can be hit and miss, flavor-wise, some taste downright muddy. I'd much rather have a good Channel Cat or mess of Bluegills over Bass, which I would much rather release to fight another day. Now Freshwater trout, I enjoy fishing for. Kinda a combo of Hunting and Fishing, especially in those small Streams and Creeks in Northern Georgia. Would love to get back out to Diamond Lake area where Chef Willie lives.  Love it.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  13. bearcarver

Interesting!

I wasn't kidding about "Too Big", because up here the trout are awesome, until they get to be 20" long and up. Then they're only good smoked, because they're too strong & oily "IMO". My favorite are between 12" and 16" long. My son catches Trout in NY at 28" to 32" long. They aren't good eating! I figured real big Bass were like that, but we don't get Bass near as big as in Florida & California.

Our catfish are great in the spring. Later in the Summer they get muddy tasting too.

Thanks,

Bear

14. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OMG!

Smoked Trout

TJ  [​IMG]

15. flash

[​IMG]

Kinda like our Redfish. Big fish are fun, but not near as tasty. Our limit here is from 18 to 27 inches, this one was 33 1/2. Still we would much rather take home that 22 to 23 incher. Perfect size for the grill and my Famous One-Eyed Grandma's Louisiana Grilled Redfish.

Would like to tie into one of those bruiser trout. We tried up at Kueka Lake in the Finger Lake Region of NY, some time back, but had no luck.

16. hardslicer

hardslicer Smoking Fanatic

now that is liv'in the good life......nicely done

17. bearcarver

Here's two of those large NY Brownies my son catches.

If I remember correctly, they were:

31 1/2" Buck

29 1/2" Roe

On a Fly Rod !!!

[​IMG]

Bear

BTW: Willie, sorry for the highjacking---Memories--Memories!!!  Yours had to be much better to eat than these monsters !!!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  18. flash

Willie is lucky enough to dine on the best west coast fish Salmon and Steelies. Wish I could get back there. Maybe someday.

19. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Good looking trout yummmy

20. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Sea trout are one of my favorites next to crappie................looks great willie