Smoked Sunday Pork Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
My mom used to make a boneless pork butt and gravy for one of our Sunday dinner staples. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed has suggested that pork loin is leaner and I could use a little less fat in my diet. I started cooking pork loin roasts. I use some liquid in the pan to avoid the lean meat from drying out and make the gravy with whitewash (flour and water) instead of a fat roux. It has become popular for a Sunday dinner.

I usually do it in the oven but I thought it might be pretty good in my Traeger Timberline.

I started by cutting up one large carrot, a celery rib and 1/4 of an onion into chunks and put them in a roasting pan. Then I added two cloves of garlic to the roasting pan.
I had a 1 kg (2 pound) pork loin roast and made up a marinade to inject into the pork:
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) chicken stock
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoon) soy sauce
  • 10 ml (2 teaspoon) Worcestershire Sauce
I injected it every inch or so.

I rubbed the surface of the roast with:
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) thyme
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) savory
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) rosemary
3 month review - pork roast 01.jpg

Leave the roast on a rack for the surface to dry a bit.

In the meantime, I preheated my Traeger Timberline to 425 F (220 C). I put the roasting pan with the vegetables in the smoker for 30 minutes.

I added 500 ml (2 cups) of chicken stock to the roasting pan and put the pork loin in the pan. I reduced the heat in the smoker to 350 F (175 C) and smoked the roast to an internal temperature of 150 F (65 C) which took about 1 hour 15 minutes.

I brought the pan and roast inside.

3 month review - pork roast 02.jpg

I put the roast on a carving board and tented it with foil.

I strained the liquid from the roasting pan and defatted. With most pork loin roasts, there will be very little fat. I added enough water to make the liquid up to 375 ml (1 1/2 cups).

3 month review - pork roast 03.jpg

I put 125 ml (1/2 cup) of cold water in a sealable container and sprinkled 50 ml (1/4 cup) of flour over the water. I closed the container and shook for a couple of minutes until the flour was mixed and there were no lumps.

I put the pan juices in the saucepan over medium high heat and whisked the flour mixture into the juices. Heat until thickened and simmer a couple of more minutes.
Put the gravy in a serving boat.

3 month review - pork roast 04.jpg

Carve the roast and serve with the gravy.

3 month review - pork roast 06.jpg

The Verdict

The lean loin roast was nice and moist, just like the oven version. The marinade gave a bit of complexity but the soy did cause some staining but not too bad. The touch of smoke also added to the flavour. The gravy was delicious.

It is good to know I can cook a classic Sunday dinner in the smoker without heating up the house. I will be using this regularly during the summer.

Disco

looks delicous disco, nice right up and great pics, glad to see i'm not the only one who obeys:emoji_disappointed: :emoji_wink:

What an excellent method, loin roast are so good. I have never injected a roast and will give this a go.

i am a huge gravy fan and reckon yours would be very tasty.

nice work, thanks for sharing.

looks delicous disco, nice right up and great pics, glad to see i'm not the only one who obeys:emoji_disappointed: :emoji_wink:

Har. I have fourty four years of training. I even obey quickly!

What an excellent method, loin roast are so good. I have never injected a roast and will give this a go.

i am a huge gravy fan and reckon yours would be very tasty.

nice work, thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much! The gravy is very tasty but not quite like a fatty roast gravy!

Savory is a leaf herb from the mint family. It has a peppery taste. You can substitute sage but it will be different. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks!
My wife thinks I own so many spices I have my own giant cabinet in our basement for supplies lol. Now I have to add savory!! Thanks for the tip.

The pork loin seems juicy and cooked to perfection, your sauce to top it off with would be a real bonus. Beautiful piece of work, Like! RAY

jcam222 jcam222 hahah me too, I am banned from buying anymore until i deplete the cupboard.

disco disco I always remove the fat for my family health and find you still get an excellent flavour.

Disco very nice I do Pork Loins in the oven with Kraut most times,last week I did one stuffed.
Richie

I'm a little late for dinner! Sorry I just saw this, Disco...did I miss out on any leftovers??? :emoji_laughing:

Beautifully done, my friend! That pork loin looked like perfection on a plate! She Who Must Be Obeyed has certainly trained you well...:emoji_wink:

Big Like!
Red

I don't know how this one avoided The Bear for so long, but I sniffed it out in the end.
Looks Awesome Disco!!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky