Smoked Roast Beef and Turkey Breast w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Was strolling through the forum the other day when I saw a post on roast beef and realized I haven't done any in quite awhile and a good French dip sandwich sounded wonderful. Was also discussing with some of the members about turkey as well so decided it was a great time to stock up on both.

Started with three eye of rounds. Coated them in thick worchestershire and montreal steak seasoning. For some reason only two of them made it into this picture.
Rbt2.jpg

Two butterball turkey breasts. These were of the savory herb flavor. All I could find but I am a big fan of these things. Didn't inject or add any additional seasoning.
rbt3.jpg

Into the smoker. 250 using char-hickory pellets.
rbt4.jpg

Enjoying an ice cold Guinness and monitoring the temps.
rbt5.jpg

Pulled the EOR's at 125ish. Normally I would pull at 110 and sear the hell out of them on the grill but since they were going to be sliced thin didn't see a need for that this time around.
rbt6.jpg

rbt7.jpg

Cranked the temp to 275 to finish off the turkeys. Pulled at 163.
rbt8.jpg

Let them rest for awhile and cool down. Sliced a little for dinner and tossed the rest in the fridge. Got home from work last night and put them in the freezer for about an hour to firm up.

Roast beef sliced on a 1 using my cheapo meat slicer.
rbt10.jpg

rbt11.jpg

Ran about half the turkey through the meat slicer for lunch meat and hand sliced some bigger pieces as well for dinners.
rbt12.jpg

rbt13.jpg

One plate of each. Have a couple more not pictured.
rbt14.jpg

Crappy picture of a French dip I made along with some russet potatoes that got cut up for fries.
rbt9.jpg

Wife wanted something light and she is not a big bread eater so I made her a turkey sandwich on romaine heart "bun" with a side of homemade buttermilk garlic dressing.
rbt15.jpg

Finally stocked up for a little while on some roast beef. Hopefully I can save some of this for the freezer before it all gets eaten. Sent some to my in-laws as well! The smoked roast beef is so much better than anything you can buy at a deli counter and it is easy to do. The turkey came out juicy as always and tender. Like I said earlier I am a big fan of the butterball breast "roasts". They run about 3 pounds a piece.

Anyways thanks for looking!

John

Damn John!! That all looks so good. Roast beef is to die for!! That's exactly as I like to do mine across the board. Same doneness and same slicing technique: paper thin for great sammies. BTW, I'd hardly call that a crappy pic of that French Dip. Looks pretty darned good from my monitor. I'd scarf down a couple of those, especially with the homemade fries. Great job my friend!!

Robert

Forgot to mention. We can get those Butterball turkey breasts all the time. Some folks can only seem to get them at certain times. When I first got into smoking meats those were done on a regular basis. I agree with you, they are excellent!!

Had a brain fart,
Robert

Man all that looks great. I like to smoke those turkeys as well. That beef though is mighty fine looking. I need a slicer

Just a wonderful beautiful piece of work John, Big Like! Seems your slicer is good enough to get the job done, and I failed to note any ugliness on the French Dip sanny. I think I'll thaw out a pack of beef and have a French Dip myself for dinner, thanks for the idea John. RAY

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Nothing wrong with that french dip, I’ll gladly take it off your hands!

Got a few turkeys left in the freezer, they’re good eats!!

nice!

Everything looks amazing. How do you like the char-hickory pellets? I've seen those before and have wondered how the flavor is.

That looks awesome john! On both beef and turkey. Need to do more turkey myself the wife really likes it as something different, and she really liked the bun idea with the romaine. That French dip looked great as well. What do you use for aujus? Homemade or store bought? I don't care much for any store bought but sometimes miss the goal on homemade

Ryan

I’ll echo everyone else, this all looks great! I haven’t seen those turkey breasts around but looks like I need to look around more.

Damn John all that looks pretty fine from here...love the thin sliced beef. And I also have a turkey breast roast in the freezer that needs to be done soon.

As soon as I can get rid of all the freakin' contractors....:emoji_angry:

Big Like

John

Damn John!! That all looks so good. Roast beef is to die for!! That's exactly as I like to do mine across the board. Same doneness and same slicing technique: paper thin for great sammies. BTW, I'd hardly call that a crappy pic of that French Dip. Looks pretty darned good from my monitor. I'd scarf down a couple of those, especially with the homemade fries. Great job my friend!!

Robert
Forgot to mention. We can get those Butterball turkey breasts all the time. Some folks can only seem to get them at certain times. When I first got into smoking meats those were done on a regular basis. I agree with you, they are excellent!!

Had a brain fart,
Robert

Robert thank you for the kind words my friend! French dip was great just not a great pic of it. I found one store that had a few of the frozen butterballs and picked up three of them so still got one in the freezer for a rainy day!

Awesome John!
That is one good looking pile of meat!
That beef is perfectly cooked for my taste!
Al

Man all that looks great. I like to smoke those turkeys as well. That beef though is mighty fine looking. I need a slicer

Thanks Jake. I bought a cheapo Weston slicer off amazon a couple years ago. Not the greatest thing ever but it does the job. Think I only paid $60 for it.

Looks Outstanding, John!!
And I'd Love a Plate Just like Yours!!
And Your Mrs seems to like the same thing as Mine does!!
Nice Jobs.
Like.

Bear

Just a wonderful beautiful piece of work John, Big Like! Seems your slicer is good enough to get the job done, and I failed to note any ugliness on the French Dip sanny. I think I'll thaw out a pack of beef and have a French Dip myself for dinner, thanks for the idea John. RAY

Thanks Ray! How did your sandwich turn out last night?

Nothing wrong with that french dip, I’ll gladly take it off your hands!

Got a few turkeys left in the freezer, they’re good eats!!

nice!

Thanks Joe! Yeah man I plan to stock up more towards Thanksgiving this year. Found one store that had a few of these left.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky