Smoked Queso Breakfast Wraps ( Queso Recipe included)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Smoked Queso Breakfast Wraps

a.jpg

G'Morning Y'all! A dedicated Breakfast section now?! Sign me up! I had to jump on the smoked queso bandwagon too.

Yesterday, I was going to make some quick tacos and then decided I wanted to mix it up with a wrap. But first, Queso!

There are a lot of recipes going around the interwebz so I did what I usually do, read a ton and make it up!

Smoked Queso:
  • 4 oz Velveeta​
  • 4 oz Cream Cheese​
  • 4 oz Smoked Gouda​
  • 1 lb Sausage​
  • 1 can (10 oz) Fire Roasted Rotel with liquid​
  • 1 can (4 oz) Hatch Green Chili, drained​
  • 1/2 can (5 oz) Cream of Poblano (most said cream of mushroom, but this sounded better to me so I snagged it). Cream of chicken worked great too.​
  • 2 Tbsp BBQ rub of choice​

b.jpg

Mixed up

c.jpg

On the Kettle with a piece of Pecan wood

d.jpg

Thin blue smoke

e.jpg

about 45 mins later (stirred frequently throughout)

f.jpg

Breakfast prep. Added some extra sausage and Bacon.

g.jpg

Add Queso

h.jpg

Add Bacon

i.jpg

Add Sausage

j.jpg

Add egg (I split one egg between the two molds)

k.jpg

Wrap and toast in a pan

l.jpg

Chow down!

a.jpg

Final thoughts:

The queso was pretty darn good. I still think that I prefer regular queso, sans smoke, and the wife agreed. Not that this was bad by any means. It was quite good! Just not what I expect for the profile of "queso". I will say that after this sat in the fridge overnight it was way better. I would definitely make in advance, and then reheat when needed. The consistency was what I was hoping for too. Even straight out of the fridge it was loose enough to dip chips into. It wasn't runny, but was actually scoopable which was great.

The wraps were a great way to start the day and not too filling at all. The tortillas are on the smaller side. I could've probably got away with a whole egg each and more queso. These are also begging for some brisket to be added too! Next time...

Cheers Y'all!

Last edited:
Now that looks great!

Thanks! It was a great way to start the day!

View attachment 449596

Those look awesome man I would be all over them! Love some queso too and yours looks great! Points for sure!

200.gif

can't find one with words but if you've seen it, you'll get it haha.

Appreciate it!

Your queso looks better than mine! And I agree, better on the stove top but it was fun nonetheless!

Thanks! Definitely fun to try and mix it up every now and then. Glad I'm not the only one that prefers good ol stove top. Did yours meld better after chilling too?

Thanks! Definitely fun to try and mix it up every now and then. Glad I'm not the only one that prefers good ol stove top. Did yours meld better after chilling too?
[/QUOTE]
It did!

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
It did!
[/QUOTE]

I've been using it up now on just random things. always good to have a bowl of queso in the fridge haha.

Another masterpiece Zach!! Just beautiful. I can see where the queso might absorb a lot of smoke and totally change the flavor profile. Maybe smoke the meats just a bit before building the queso then cook on the stove?

One thing I find interesting though. Unless you eat breakfast really late, it seems uncharacteristic of you to be having Coors Light for breakfast...unless that's just to prime the pump for some serious stuff later :emoji_wink:

Big LIKE my friend
Robert

Lol I gotcha. Best worst movie of all time.
View attachment 449628

I don't think I could rewatch it now though haha.

Another masterpiece Zach!! Just beautiful. I can see where the queso might absorb a lot of smoke and totally change the flavor profile. Maybe smoke the meats just a bit before building the queso then cook on the stove?

One thing I find interesting though. Unless you eat breakfast really late, it seems uncharacteristic of you to be having Coors Light for breakfast...unless that's just to prime the pump for some serious stuff later :emoji_wink:

Big LIKE my friend
Robert

Thanks Robert! I tried to keep it light by going higher heat for shorter time. I also tried a new recipe out too so that probably had a bigger hand in it for sure. Maybe just some good ol fashioned queso and then add some chopped smoked brisket would work.

The queso cook was technically another night haha. But good call! I forgot to sneak some whiskey into the pics this time. But I did use some cast iron! Thanks again for all the push and ideas to up my game!

Great looking breakfast wrap. I could really go for that.
Gotta say, I much prefer queso mode on the stove. I've tried the smoked, but it just doesn't seem quite right. I think the smoked cheese gives it enough smoke flavor.
But.......half an egg for breakfast???? Is that even legal??
Gary

Thanks Gary. I was worried about filling capacity haha. And it was a whole egg for breakfast as I ate both :emoji_sweat_smile: . Next time, more egg though...

That just looks amazing. Great job!

Dave

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Damn Zach, pretty creative, and looks good for a first run at it.

And what is wrong with beer for breakfast? Hell when I do fishing trips with my buddies it's tequila sunrise or Jack for breakfast..... :emoji_flushed:

Like!

John

Thanks John! Nothing wrong with it at all. Everytime I light the pit, I try and have a sacrificial pour :emoji_wink:

That's a fine looking breakfast Zach, although I think I might pair it up with a screw-driver instead of a Coors light.

Point for sure
Chris

View attachment 449773
Looks awesome Zach! I’m late to the party so I’ll just piggyback off the replies.

I saw a recent video where someone made a crunchwrap supreme. That looked like something worth trying.

Welcome! It plays. :emoji_wink: and thanks!

I think that video is maybe what subliminally influenced me haha. I saw it going around too.

That's a fine looking breakfast Zach, although I think I might pair it up with a screw-driver instead of a Coors light.

Point for sure
Chris

Thank you. I'm usually a spicy bloody Mary for breakfast guy. I think it was just water with this though before yard work :emoji_grin:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky