Smoked Pheasant Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lifterpuller

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
MN
I did a smoked pheasant today.

First, a 24 hour brine consisting of:

1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup of Pickling Salt
1 can of unsweetened Apple Juice (46 oz)
1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
5 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs onion powder
2 tbs cayenne pepper

Then, rubbed birds thoroughly in olive oil and seasoned with Chachere's Creole. Since these were skinned pheasants, I draped them entirely in bacon.

Smoked with apple at 215 for approximately 3 hours with a Budweiser/Creole seasoning moisture tray.

Raw birds drying after brine:

Note that these birds came out of the "gumbo batch" because they were a little shot up. I decided to smoke them instead. I had to do a lot of trimming of the shut up areas, so there was 1 whole bird, 2 halved, and 1 quartered.

Oiled, seasoned, bacon wrapped, and ready for the smoker:

About half way through smoking-I really need to give the smoker a good cleaning

Finished still in the bacon:

Pretty good color, and decently moist for smoked pheasant:

I threw the legs in a crock pot with a 1/2 Budweiser 1/2 hot wing sauce to make them fall apart a little more. Anyone who regularly eats tendon filled pheasant legs can understand this process.

This was the first time I have smoked ditch chickens. I liked it and will try again, but I'll definitely use birds with the skin on next time. They were a bit on the dry side at 170, and I think the skin would help greatly keeping these dry birds moist.

Looks Fantastic!... I love Pheasant, but have only fried it & in enchiladas, tacos, nacho's, etc. Never had it smoked. Looks great, how did the crock pot Budweiser thing turn out?

Looks real nice! I've eaten much smoked pheasant before, never been brined though, and always tasted real good. Did it do anything for them?

The beer/wing sauce is pretty tasty. I do that with most of my geese/duck and pheasant legs. It really tenderizes them. I've never had pheasant legs smoked then crock potted, it definitely adds another element.

Rivet, I can't say if the brine helped or not since this is the only smoked pheasant I've had. I've always just baked, grilled, or fried it.

How do you usually smoke pheasant?

I've never had that before either, looks and sounds great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky