Smoked Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tommyspoon

Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Arlington, VA
This is my favorite way to enjoy summertime vidalias!

Ingredients
  • 1 or more large-sized onions (vidalias preferred, but you can use any kind of onion you like)
  • 1 pat of unsalted butter per onion
  • kosher salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • fresh herbs (optional)
  • heavy duty aluminum foil
Method
  1. Carefully quarter each onion, leaving the onion intact on the root end so that it is "opened."
  2. Insert a pat of butter in the onion.
  3. Sprinkle the onion cavity with salt and pepper.
  4. Add any fresh or dried herbs to the onion. (I like fresh rosemary or chives.)
  5. Wrap each onion in a generous amount of foil.
  6. Place onions directly on coals and let them smoke for 30-45 minutes.
  7. Carefully remove the onions from the coals and unwrap. Let them rest for a few minutes and serve.
Enjoy!

Sounds delicious, Tommy! I think I'll give it a try this weekend with a good steak! Thanks for the tip.

Cheers,
Brian

Tommy,

I love the pouched vidalias. I use different ingredients on mine. Everything the same as far as onion prep, but I just like a pat of butter and splash liberally with Worcestershire. Very yummy with a good smoked meat.

Will have to try your way. It also sounds like it will tickle the taste buds. Spices are a personal thing. I guess that is why there are so many.

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky