- Jul 19, 2005
This is my favorite way to enjoy summertime vidalias!
- 1 or more large-sized onions (vidalias preferred, but you can use any kind of onion you like)
- 1 pat of unsalted butter per onion
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- fresh herbs (optional)
- heavy duty aluminum foil
- Carefully quarter each onion, leaving the onion intact on the root end so that it is "opened."
- Insert a pat of butter in the onion.
- Sprinkle the onion cavity with salt and pepper.
- Add any fresh or dried herbs to the onion. (I like fresh rosemary or chives.)
- Wrap each onion in a generous amount of foil.
- Place onions directly on coals and let them smoke for 30-45 minutes.
- Carefully remove the onions from the coals and unwrap. Let them rest for a few minutes and serve.