Smoked Onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pops6927

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 23, 2008
Fort Worth, Tx.
Our youngest son Robert Fassett came over to install grab bars for me out on our back porch and also put back our pellet grill correctly after my pellet "explosion" of last week (incorrectly attempted to start it with too many pellets feeding into the burner cup and not releasing the spent ash and excess pellets down into the ash cup and causing them to ignite with a BANG!.) Plus I had put it back together incorrectly, too.

But, no damage done! He got it started, and why waste good smoke? No meat available, so we smoked some onions!

My wife split them and seasoned them with pepper and garlic powder and coated them with avocado spray, then into a pan and into the smoker! Dinner was almost ready, so she put them into the oven to finish them off at 425° for 25 minutes and WOWZER! Were they delicious!
raw and seasoned.jpg

Raw And Seasoned

smoked and baked.jpg

Smoked and Baked!

And they will be good snackin' cold the next day!

Looks pretty good. Glad it’s working

Onions are usually smoked either on the pooper or the kettle.
Never probe them, I go by look and texture with turning by the tongs
Wife will eat them fresh off the grill, but not leftover. I try to make extra for leftover, but she will chow down the fresh

Looks real good Pops! Never tried them before. Sounds and looks good, may have to try. Thanks for sharing.

Looks great Pops! This is crazy tho. Went to a Tex Mex restaurant and was so impressed with their enchilada sauce I asked them about it and one of the things they add is smoked onion. I thought that was weirdest thing I ever heard of and yet here is bunch of guys who routinely do that. Mind blown.

I love smoked onions, next time try rubbing them down with Better Than Bouillon beef or chicken base it will blow you away how great they turn out.

Glad your smoker came through unscathed. I use smoked onions in my chili, so good.

We do that here a lot. I cut the core out from the root end in a V shape. Add a bouillon cube, put a pat of butter over that, and smoke it until done. Time of the cook varies with the ambient temp.
They don't freeze well, but heating in the microwave will work well the next day or two.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky