Smoked meatloaf and a CI aebleskiver pan!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
So been wanting to do a smoked meatloaf for awhile and finally got around to it. First off, a Big thank you to TNJAKE TNJAKE for sharing his recipe! Seen his post awhile back and wanted to give it a try. His post was a better step by step than mine so if he wants to maybe he will post a link to his post. (Not sure how to do it). Also been wanting to use this CI pan that we have had for awhile, just hadn't gotten around to it. Thinking about meatloaf I suddenly thought about using some of the mixture and stuffing with cheese and forming into balls. I also have to give a shout out to tx smoker tx smoker he has given me several good ideas to use this pan for!

So anyways, I followed Jake's recipe to a T, only changes were I used what I had on hand. 2 lbs 85/15 venison beef tallow mix (he used 80/20 burger) and .25 lb Dakota sausage blend from Owen's bbq (he used smoked Italian sausage). I used Jeff's rub (he used killer hog rub, I believe).

Sauteed 1 cup chopped onion and 5 slices bacon cut up

20200705_160821.jpg

I apologize for very few prep pics, was busy with other things at the same time. I preformed the balls to get the size I wanted and then shredded up smoked Colby longhorn cheddar and smoked muenster onto them and stuffed cheese inside them.

20200705_170749.jpg

Into the pan and sprinkled more of Jeff's rub on top.

20200705_173823.jpg

2 loaves , sprinkled more of Jeff's rub on top also. I started with 4 small loaves, used 1 1/2 to make the balls then added other 1/2 back into meat mixture and divided in half.

20200705_174950.jpg

Into the smoker @ 250 degrees, smoked with pitmasters choice pellets in the mailbox

20200705_175204.jpg

Pulled the meatballs out @ 155 degrees and sauced...3 got countryside bar bq sauce ( my wife's favorite) and 4 got Jeff's bbq sauce. Then back into smoker, pulled at 165 degrees

20200705_193122.jpg

Countryside bar bq sauce

20200705_185756.jpg

Out of the pan, they look and smell amazing!

20200705_193500.jpg

An inside look...cheesy goodness !

20200705_193613.jpg

2 loaves at 158, time to sauce, left one gets countryside, right side gets Jeff's

20200705_195159.jpg

Out of smoker @ 165, left countryside, right Jeff's
20200705_202240.jpg

Plated with fresh green beans from the garden. Now this is a terrible pic! Meatball is on the right...I may have eaten the cheesy center already.
20200705_202833.jpg

I have to say this all turned out amazing! Only one meatball left, wife wanted it for lunch the next day. Loved the 1st use of this pan! Only problem is I only have one. The good thing is they cook faster so made good appetizers.

Next day lunch...meatloaf sandwich on toast with mayo , more smoked Colby longhorn cheese shredded on top and more of Jeff's sauce with one of SmokinAl SmokinAl Pickles...ok maybe 3 or 4.

20200706_124714.jpg

A closer look. Actually ended up dipping in ketchup, tasted amazing...kinda like a meaty grilled cheese.
20200706_124832.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ryan

Wow Ryan. All looks fantastic!! The larger meatloaves look stunning but I love the meatballs you did in the golf ball cooker :emoji_laughing: Great way to put that thing to use first time out. Now that you've opened the door, you'll find lots more stuff to use it for. It's ok that the plated shot had all the cheese eaten before the pic was taken. You got the pic before that with that melted cheesiness and it's gorgeous!!

Great job my friend!!
Robert

Damn man all of that looks amazing. The meatballs have my mouth watering. Sandwich isn't too shabby either! Points all around!

Thanks Robert! I appreciate it! And I think I might change the name of that pan...golf ball cooker is way easier to say and spell!

Ryan

Damn man all of that looks amazing. The meatballs have my mouth watering. Sandwich isn't too shabby either! Points all around!
Thank you! I appreciate it! Those meatballs turned out great! Glad I tried it...some of you guys been putting out some great CI cooks lately...didn't want to be left out!

Ryan

Thank you to whoever's moved it to its proper place...I realized it after I started and wasn't sure how to change from beef to wild game

Thanks
Ryan

One more thing Robert tx smoker tx smoker you should get one of those pans...then you can be "the mad griddler" with a golf ball cooker on your griddle! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
Buddy , that all looks fantastic . I over due for a meatloaf .
Great work .

Buddy , that all looks fantastic . I over due for a meatloaf .
Great work .
Thank you! I appreciate it. We were long overdue also! Wife doesn't usually care for any sauce but she loved this

Ryan

Pretty cool idea. I've yet to stuff meatballs. I makeep 50 at a time so I try to bang them out quickly...JJ

Looks great Ryan especially the golf balls!! I third “overdue for a meatloaf.” I think we may see a run on meatloaf threads soon.

Pretty cool idea. I've yet to stuff meatballs. I makeep 50 at a time so I try to bang them out quickly...JJ
Thank you! Definitely not a good way to make a bunch of them but worked out good for this and gave me an excuse to use this pan.

Ryan

You nailed it Ryan. The ones with cheese look killer. Glad you enjoyed the recipe
Thanks Jake! It was all amazing. Have made smoked meatloaf before and it was ok but this will definitely be made again!

Ryan

Reactions: TNJAKE
Looks great Ryan especially the golf balls!! I third “overdue for a meatloaf.” I think we may see a run on meatloaf threads soon.
Thanks! I appreciate it. Those golf balls would make some awesome meatball subs. This pan was a gift, could use another. Recently saw a griswold CI pan like this with bigger holes but for $90...I don't think so. More meatloaf threads...yep!

Ryan

Thanks for the like D.W. D.W. I appreciate it!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky