Smoked Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
Smoked Lasagna

20210719_190726.jpg

20210719_190739.jpg

20210719_190600.jpg

Smoked Lasagna started out with some Jimmy Dean's Hot Sausage and some Italian Sausage being broken up and put on foil lined pans and spent about 90 minutes in the smoker at 250F.

At the same time tomato sauce and some whole garlic cloves spent some time in the smoker as well. The garlic ended up minced into the sauce along with some tomato paste, some minced fresh basil leaves and minced shallots. When it was heated for assembly, the meat was broken up and added to the sauce.

Some Ricotta cheese was mixed with an egg, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, salt and pepper.

When it came time to assemble, a bit of sauce on the bottom of a foil pan, then 3 oven ready or no boil lasagna noodles then a layer of the ricotta cheese mix, a cup of the meat sauce, then 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese and about 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese. Then 2 more layers of all of that. Finished with a layer of noodles, the remainder of the sauce and the rest of the mozzarella cheese.

It spent an hour in the smoker at 325F .

Unfortunately, being a volunteer firefighter led me to being a bit rushed when it was time to eat and not a lot of time for pictures on this one.

Last edited:
Man that's some good looking lasagna. Never did it on the smoker. Will change that for sure. Nice work bud

Never been a fan of the Pasta layered in Meat Sauce with Cheese only on the top...JJ

Reactions: kilo charlie
Wow Charlie! You nailed it, especially for never making it before! Think I'm going to Charlie's Cafe and have me some lasagna!

Ryan

Never been a fan of the Pasta layered in Meat Sauce with Cheese only on the top...JJ

There's a whole pound of mozzarella layered in this thing! Haha along with the ricotta and Parmesan. Perhaps yours will have 2 pounds? Haha!

Looks great, and the no boil noodles were not tough . As I was wondering as I have a few ideas with the noodles . Thanks for posting this

David

Surprisingly no.. the noodles were not tough except one corner of the top layer that floated up and wasn't covered .. like less than 1 inch by one inch. Otherwise it was perfect!

Wow Charlie! You nailed it, especially for never making it before! Think I'm going to Charlie's Cafe and have me some lasagna!

Ryan

Haha Thank you!

WOW!! Looks fantastic KC. I kinda know where you're coming from with this. Best lasagna I ever made was cooked on the BGE with oak lump charcoal. Same concept as what you did and it was incredible!! fantastic job sir.

Robert

Perhaps yours will have 2 pounds? Haha!

LOL Funny you should say that!😂 My standard Lasagna has 2 pounds of Ricotta stirred together with 1 pound of softened Cream Cheese and 8oz of grated Parm Reggiano, plus fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, S & P and 1Tbs of Granulated Garlic. I alternate layers of the Ricotta mix and 2 Pounds total of Sliced Polly-O Whole Milk Mozzarella. That pan of Lasagna is Heavy!
Growing up in NJ, Polly-O was THE brand of mozz to use. A taste test of a few brands years ago, Sargento, Store Brand, Etc, showed Polly-O had the most Flavor...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky