Smoked Duck ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I didn't get a lot of pictures, because I was originally smoking a store bought duck for Christmas eve, see it is traditional to have gumbo on Christmas eve before the bonfires on the levee. I thought it would be nice to have a smoked duck & andouille gumbo this year. But in the process of cleaning and processing the duck to smoke, I had so much to put in the stock pot and its smelled so rich (a huge difference from chicken), I decided to give my old Hunter's wild rice recipe a try. It has been years since I did one (early '80's), and it was with woodies then not a store bought duck, but I had to try it. A friend had sent me some real "wild rice" from Minnesota which caused the adventure into a hunters wild rice. We used to laugh at folks who ate old store bought ducks and didn't kill their own. LOL and the worm turns.

Like I said store bought duck, sat under the fan after cleaning. Skin dried fast I assume because of all that duck fat, Dusted the cavity with sage, thyme, rosemary and parsley, then added bay leaves oranges and apples and closed her up. Preheated the smoker to 275 reduced to 210 and put the duck in the chamber. I nearly always do pecan, but its poultry and I know what apple & corn cob smoke looks like so.......... I don't know why I think Duck is such a special meal, its cheaper than hamburger meat!

Since I was at a chamber temperature of 210, I wasn't too afraid of over cooking and with all that duck fat, dryness should not be a problem either. So I regulated the chamber temperature to get the smoke I wanted with no probe. After a couple of hours I decided that an apricot glaze would bring the rice and duck together. Someone had finished the bag of dried apricots so I glazed it with a peach glaze. Thats rum, butter, brown sugar and homemade peach jelly.

Into the stock pot the tail (which is meaty on a duck) the neck, the wings cut off at the crotch of the wing, liver, and some extra skin from the neck/breast area. I had picked up all the scraps when processing the duck and threw them in a pan wondering what kind of broth it would make, OMG!! It even smelled richer and more decadent. That is when the plan came to me. I checked the pantry to see what was available, and started prepping to make the hunter's wild rice. OK, I will drop the recipe below, if you are using fake wild rice (browned spaghetti pieces) realize cooking time will be largely different.

Duck in the smoker in that beautiful amber colored smoke.

IMG_1452.JPG

I finally, after a few hours decided to take its temperature (The color was what I was looking for and the subcutaneous fat was a rendering with a slow drip, the meat was slightly firm), and believe it or not, I was only 1 degree of what I was looking for. I forgot how much I liked smoking without a remote thermometer.

Here it is on the counter right after the probe was inserted and I pulled it. Damn shame I punctured that pretty bird.

IMG_1460.JPG

Here it is in a pretty platter on top of the Hunters wild rice which was unbelievable by itself..

IMG_1463.JPG

The hunters rice is fruits, nuts and berries which blend so well with that very satisfying slight crunch as the rice explodes as you chew releasing its nutty flavor. Takes 4 or 5 times longer to cook but well worth the wait.

Hunter's Wild Rice

Ingredients:
1/4 cupDried apricot chopped
1/4 cuppecans chopped
1/4 cupDried whole cranberries
1/2 cupwhite onions chopped
1/4 cupcelery chopped
1/4 teaspoonsage rubbed
1/4 teaspoonrosemary ground
1/4 teaspoonFresh thyme
1/4 teaspoonfresh Parsley
1 cupwild rice
4 cupsspring water
1 tablespoonbacon grease
Salt & Pepper to taste
Directions:
Add grease to large pan with lid and set on medium fire. Add onions and celery and stir till translucent (4 or 5 mins.), add apricots, pecans, cranberries and spices. Now its the rice and water, salt and pepper. bring to a boil, reduce heat to a slow gentle boil and cover, allow to cook slowly, no need to stir. Your pot should be steaming a little. Check after a couple of hours. Do not stir the pot until it is done. Stirring ends the steam paths established by the rice for cooking/

You can use whatever nuts, fruits and berries you have available But mine was just really perfect.

BTW all the measurements are approximated except the 4 to 1 water to rice. And don't expect the rice to be all fluffy, it ain't that way with wild rice !

Hope you enjoyed, remember ducks are not as cheap as turkeys right now, but under three dollars a pound I can afford a couple in the freezer and still have plenty of beer money.

BTW those are Louisiana satsumas as a garnish.

Ducks are very$$ here, I dont duck hunt as the numbers are low in this end of the state, wife would kill me if I started down that path. I love wing shooting though and if I lived in WTn I might be a single man lol, looks great thats another on the todo list

Looks great , funny I asked my wife last week what she wanted for Christmas dinner to my surprise she said this year was so weird let's have a duck, neither of us ever cooked one so this may help. Thanks

Good looking duck there Kevin. I always wanted to smoke one, but the only time I did it was in a turducken. Gonna have to give it a try!
Al

That looks beautiful, Kev. Great color on that duck. I haven't gone duck hunting for about 40 years--gonna have to give it a go next year.
Now, the wild rice---I really, really, really want to try out that recipe. But.......there's not a whole bunch of rice that grows here in the Alberta Foothills. So it will have to be store bought. Just how do I tell if I'm buying genuine wild rice or FAKE wild rice??
BTW, good to hear you're still staying healthy!!
Gary

Very nice work! The rice sounds great...JJ

Looks delicious!! I wish Duck was cheap here. I’d love to try a few different duck dishes.

Looks great , funny I asked my wife last week what she wanted for Christmas dinner to my surprise she said this year was so weird let's have a duck, neither of us ever cooked one so this may help. Thanks

Hint, duck like veal, or lamb is best served slightly undercooked. As soon as the juices are clean get it off the heat. Allow it to cool what I call excessively. 30 mins to an hour is best.

Really nice color and rice sounds very good.

If you have not smoked with apple or corn cob you need to try it. they are an amazing amber color.

Ducks are very$$ here, I dont duck hunt as the numbers are low in this end of the state, wife would kill me if I started down that path. I love wing shooting though and if I lived in WTn I might be a single man lol, looks great thats another on the todo list

Right now ducks are running on sale here, 3 to 4.00 dollars a pound. I bought another today and it was 3.75/lb. Just buy one and scrape the price tag off before you get home. Tell your wife you bet a co-worker your wife was better looking than his and you won a duck.

Kevin, awesome job and a tasty looking recipe.

Thanks
You should look for same of that real wild rice from Minn. It would have been really over the top had I after cooking iut stuffed the duck.

Kevin that is a pretty color I guess from the glaze.
Richie

Thats from the smoke the first picture has no glaze on it yet.

Good looking duck there Kevin. I always wanted to smoke one, but the only time I did it was in a turducken. Gonna have to give it a try!
Al

Just use a light smoke and its really good. I would not expect to feed 4 off a single duck. But you and the bride should be just fine.

That looks beautiful, Kev. Great color on that duck. I haven't gone duck hunting for about 40 years--gonna have to give it a go next year.
Now, the wild rice---I really, really, really want to try out that recipe. But.......there's not a whole bunch of rice that grows here in the Alberta Foothills. So it will have to be store bought. Just how do I tell if I'm buying genuine wild rice or FAKE wild rice??
BTW, good to hear you're still staying healthy!!
Gary

You are closer to the wild rice than I am. Its my understanding that currently the only place in North America you can buy wild rice is Minn. I had read a couple of articles where Louisiana is trying to re-introduce it here but its almost impossible with all the GMO rice. A friend when talking told me about Minn. and sent me a bag and I waited till it would be attempted the right way. Its nothing like regular rice.

Very nice work! The rice sounds great...JJ

Thanks Chef.

Looks delicious!! I wish Duck was cheap here. I’d love to try a few different duck dishes.

Really was nice, I had forgot how good ducks are, even store bought.
It only hurts for when you pay for it a little if you do it quick.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky