Smoked Cod In Cognac & Caraway Seeds!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All right what's the deal here, Leah! Are you a Pro or a serious Foodie!?! Flavor combos have represented a variety international profiles. Plate presentation are simple yet elegant and classic table settings with pictures well composed demonstrating excellent use of lighting. Give us the Scoop...JJ

Hi JJ!  And THANK YOU so very much!

While I'm not a chef and most certainly won't ever pretend to be, I do eat very very very well, or with a palate for exotic, healthful and minimalistically prepared food that's paired with fantastic "old world" wine.

My humble smoking rig is more like a toaster oven compared to the impressive machinery and crafted skill that is demonstrated on this site by everyone else, and so I'm humbled, flattered, and delighted that all have been so receptive and kind to such a neophyte and to one who arranges such simpleton style meals and on each day.

That being said, it is through writing, speaking and conducting entertaining and unique wine tastings, that I do share my passion for "finding the magic" in whatever one wishes to eat, with the masses.

I read somewhere here that we aren't supposed to share blogs or sites or links or any such things, and so that's fine. I'm not here to market but am here to simply share my daily passionate "magnificent obsession" with likeminded folk and am adoring the group! It seems like some genuine and very real and very food appreciative people! Fantastic stuff!

In any event, while ocean doings captivate 5 days out of 7 for my palate, or during most times, we're moving into game meat season (my other passion) and so here is a huge CHEERS to that, and to exciting and quite lovely and still healthful, exotic meats and treats to come!

Thanks for such nice words, as it's always daunting joining chat groups online and being so new. This bunch does indeed seem just absolutely fabulous though! Happy midweek!!!!!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah

* And based on YOUR handle, should I address you as "Chef?"

Greetings to you as well, It's Chef to my Students but to you and my friends in Food and Smoke, JJ is fine. This is a great group and the most valued among us are those that Share in our passion. We value your participation and although self serving links and advertising links are not allowed we still love to see recipes and details of how we indulge our passion. While sharing recipes from cook books is not fair to the author, recipes from public Websites and Blogs have already been provided for the masses to enjoy and can be posted with credit given to the Author. So in all your future endeavors and creations feel free to give details on what you make. Include what it is, how it was prepared and any details that will help us recreate and participate in what you do so well. While for reasons of cost and availability I don't get to play with seafood as much any more, it's preparation has been of special interest to me and are among my specialties. Additionally, there are many Hunters that participate here and are always looking for new ways to enjoy the fruits of the hunt. We look forward to your long participation. Have a great day...JJ

Thank you JJ!

That's very wonderful to hear, and I look forward to all the hunters and fishmongers, and all!

It's really a fun place you all have here, and I find the photos and postings from everyone to be just gorgeous and hunger provoking indeed!

I'm sure your students are benefactors of some wonderful things!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah

Outstanding choices! I love seafood and you have certainly present unique and interesting ways of preparing it - Thank you!

Would you mind sharing the details for this dish - I would love to try to replicate it.

Tickled to see that you are a game meat lover as well. We were fortunate and in the past month have put a Mule Deer and an Antelope in the freezer. We have 3 elk tags and start hunting on Saturday. 

Hi SmokinHusker and thank you so much!

First off, your freezer sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And here's to lots of elk! I adore the bone-in chops/racks - grilled black and blue and then cold in the middle! Fantastic stuff!

You are so blessed to have access to that, and all near you! Here's to Saturday!

For the cod, I splash Cognac, grapeseed oil, and caraway seeds, into a Ziploc bag with the cod and let it sit in the fridge a couple hours, and then smoke. I think it was about 20-25 minutes or less.

If you take a similar marinade of Cognac, grapeseed oil, and chopped raw elephant garlic and herbs de Provence; and use that for wild boar (in a Ziplock for a bit) and then grill or smoke or prepare however you like, it is just WON-DER-FUL! I am excited to use this version on some tomahawk zebra chops later this year.

Meanwhile, I prepare food so simply and yet this marinade and whatever version you whip up of it, seems to really work well and still be healthful and simple and so it goes! Have fun!

In any event, your hunting availability has me hungry! That all sounds so fabulous!!!

Happy Thursday to you! Cheers! - Leah

Very nice dish, I have been meaning to try Cognac in more of my dishes and this will help motivate me. I have a lot of fresh caught rainbow trout that I am constantly experimenting with.

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky