Smoked chuck. Anybody tried it.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Easy 7 hour drive, leave right now and you'll just make dinner.

Also... I keep meaning to ask you, "What was your Qual Boat?"

​USS Sculpin SSN 590.  I used to live in Slidell, LA and would drive over to Battleship Park on weekends to be a tour guide on the USS Drum.  
Really, if in the last 20 odd years, then you probably know my FiL, David Dalby.

The name sounds familiar but it has been a few years since I was over there.  I last did it in 2005 before Katrina hit.  

Well, everyone else pretty much summed it up...HECK YA, WE SMOKE CHUCKIES...in fact a chuck roast was the first thing I ever smoked, strange choice I know but it was the only hunk o meat I had when I got my first smoker. It was accidentally marvellous as I had no idea what was what and smoking was a relatively new thing at the time with nothing like this site anywhere...
I thought the thing was ruined beyond belief when I pulled the lid off my old char grill and there was this large mostly black hunk of something that used to be meat...my heart sank as I pulled the grate from the smoker...
That dismay was immediately replaced by utter amazement when I went to "saw" through what I was sure was a dried out hunk of inedible something or other and it almost fell apart under the knife revealing this lush, juicy, tender perfectly smoked Chuckie...and that burned up part that I now crave, the bark, was the most amazing thing I'd ever eaten (till then that is) I've​ been a smoking junkie ever since.

Well, everyone else pretty much summed it up...HECK YA, WE SMOKE CHUCKIES...in fact a chuck roast was the first thing I ever smoked, strange choice I know but it was the only hunk o meat I had when I got my first smoker. It was accidentally marvellous as I had no idea what was what and smoking was a relatively new thing at the time with nothing like this site anywhere...
That's funny:

I just checked to make sure, but a Chucky was the first Non-cured Red Meat I ever Smoked too.

First it was Salmon, then some Bacon & CB, then more Fish, and then a Chucky!! That was about 8 years ago.

Bear

Yeah the whole experience was a circus. I had NO idea about IT, rubs, foiling to rest or how to build a fire to control pit temps and had only read one short article on smoking meat...I did have the foresight to replace the "cool-ideal-hot" dial thermometer with an oven thermometer that was fairly accurate as the only real information I had was about the importance of temperature control...225°F for 1-1.5 hours per pound...BUT the smoking God's we're smiling down on me that day and as luck would have it splitting the difference in time worked perfectly.
As I was Qing at my folks house, at the lake, on memorial day it was a spectacle...mom was telling me I was over cooking it over and over and when I opened the smoker with all gathered around and saw what looked like, well nothing to appetizing, mom smirked and walked towards the back door saying "I've got burger thawed" and my dad leans in and says quietly "she was right wasn't she"...you can't imagine how I felt at that particular moment, but I was determined to act as though it was all perfectly normal...needless to say we were all (myself most of all, I think) pleasantly surprised...and that, kind sir, is the rest of the story.
Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky