Smoked Chicken Spanakopita

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I smoked up some chicken thighs the other day intending to use them for lunches and then one thing led to another and I didn't need them for lunch. We like to make Spanakopita. This is an easy Greek dish that like a pot pie can be made using a variety of proteins, veggies, etc. You can make it in one skillet which is nice for clean up. I loosely followed the recipe I linked above.

A few changes were made.
1. I didn't have half and half so I used a cup of low fat sour cream. Greek yogurt could work too as a substitute.
2. I only had 3oz of feta (which I think is fine).
3. I used a block of thawed frozen spinach instead of fresh.
4. I didn't have any phyllo dough and I didn't want to make any. We did have Pepperidge Farms frozen puff pastry cups so I used those. They go on frozen and worked out great. Took a bit more oven time though to get brown. Any frozen puff pastry or canned biscuits could work as a topper.

The smoked chicken really added good flavor and I would do it again. Other variations you can add Greek olives, shrimp, lamb, pork meatballs, scrambled eggs etc.

I should note that I started out using my 12" CI pan, but opted for the 10". Seemed to fit better in the smaller pan. One could also make this in a casserole dish if you don't have a good pan to go in the oven.

Only got a finished photo.

50439910802_6ce72af71a_c.jpg

50439910812_c45bfb248a_c.jpg

That looks good! I love things like this because like you had stated they are very adaptable to what you have on hand. This is comfort food at its finest!

We've used smoked chicken to make traditional pot pie which give them a better flavor. So I know that tasted as fantastic as it looks!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this. Am reading and making shopping list at the same time. It will definitely be made in the next 2 days! Can't wait.

Looks awesome! I’ve made a keto version of this before. I’ll have to try adding smoked chicken next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky