Smoked Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I went to a bonspiel in Butte and had the chance to go through a larger city. I took the opportunity to pick up some Havarti, Emmental, Gouda, Manchego and Cave aged Gruyere. Of course, they would all be better smoked!

I put it in my grill with an A-Maze-N tube smoker for 1 1/2 hours.

Smoked Cheese 2019 1.jpg

It was right about 0 C (32 F). The tube generated enough heat to stop freezing.

The finished product.

Smoked Cheese 2019 2.jpg

As usual, the hardest part is to vacuum pack it and let it age. I like to go 8 weeks but usually can't wait. Fortunately, I have some from my last cheese smoke so I might make it!

Disco

Looks really good Disco, I normally go about 3 hours with dust. I can basically eat it right out of the smoker.

Point for sure
Chris

Great looking cheese Disco! I usually do 3 hours with apple pellets and rest for a min of 30 days. Bout time to get some going here!

Looks really good Disco, I normally go about 3 hours with dust. I can basically eat it right out of the smoker.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks, Chris! I have a buddy who uses your method but does less time with the dust. His cheese turns out fine. I still like my longer aged better but have never turned his down! He is the same way about mine. Personal taste wins out.

Disco

Disco looks good to me
Richie

Thanks, Richie. We don't get a lot of variety of cheese here in the Canadian Rockies. It was nice to get more choice.

Great looking cheese Disco! I usually do 3 hours with apple pellets and rest for a min of 30 days. Bout time to get some going here!

Thanks, Smokin! The great part about home smoking is you get to pick the flavour and level of smoke you like. Yours sounds good!

Disco

Looks great.

Thank you so much.

Very Nice Disco, just bought one of those tubes yesterday so I can do some cheese!

LIKE!

John

Thanks, John. I appreciate the like. You will love the tube. I use mine for cheese, double smoking and flavouring items without cooking them. Have fun!

Yum! I could see a crazy good smokey French onion soup coming from that lot!

Truth, Ominivore! I love gruyere on French onion soup, emmental on ham sandwiches, Manchego as a grating cheese in cooked dishes, and Havarti and Gouda are great table cheeses. I am a happy man!

Disco

I Just did 2Lb pepper jack with pecan wood (pellets) last weekend, was 42F degrees out, no fire and just an a-maze-n tube smoker. ran it for 4 hours, hope it didn't turn out too strong, haven't tried it yet. its been in foil , in a plastic bag aging for almost a week now, I will soon vac seal it and let it age longer.

I Just did 2Lb pepper jack with pecan wood (pellets) last weekend, was 42F degrees out, no fire and just an a-maze-n tube smoker. ran it for 4 hours, hope it didn't turn out too strong, haven't tried it yet. its been in foil , in a plastic bag aging for almost a week now, I will soon vac seal it and let it age longer.
Four hours is a little long for my tastes but the level of smoke you like is very personal. For example, She Who Must Be Obeyed likes single smoked bacon and I like double smoked.

With that long of smoking, I would let it age at least a month (two would be better) to even out but that is just my taste.

Disco

Looks GREAT! I'll be smoking cheese this weekend for various friends. I picked up around 70 pounds of various cheeses the other day. I'll post pics when I get going...

NICE. Great selection! Manchego is one of my favorites! Curious how that turns out as it so hard. Best of luck!

Looks GREAT! I'll be smoking cheese this weekend for various friends. I picked up around 70 pounds of various cheeses the other day. I'll post pics when I get going...

Thanks. May inquire what it takes to get on the various friends list?

NICE. Great selection! Manchego is one of my favorites! Curious how that turns out as it so hard. Best of luck!

Thanks. I have done Manchego before. It works out great. I love the touch of smoke on the rich flavours of the Manchego.

Looks terrific Disco...you’ll winter well with a nice assortment of smoked cheese!

Like!
Red

Thanks, Red! Long time no talk. How are you doing!

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky