Smoked Cheese, The First Batch of the Winter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
A couple of weeks ago, the temperature dropped here in the Canadian Rockies. It was time to smoke cheese! Last year I didn't do enough cheese and I was totally out!

I wanted to try a different smoke. I have always thought that oak whiskey barrel smoke has a medium but true smoke that would be good on cheese. So, I loaded up my A-Maze-N with pellets and put it in my pellet smoker with the smoker turned off. It was about 6 C (43 F) so I wasn't too worried about the ambient temperature.

I had havarti, old cheddar and extra old marble.

SMF Cheese 1.jpg

I ran the smoke for 3 hours.

I brought the cheese in and let it cool and sealed it in vacuum bags.

SMF Cheese 2.jpg

It is 2 1/2 weeks ago that I smoked the cheese and today I opened a package and had a snack.

SMF Cheese 3.jpg

SMF Cheese 4.jpg

The Verdict

I really liked the smoke from the oak barrel. It has a definite smoke hit without being sharp. I recommend it for you to try in a cheese smoke.

Disco

Nice job Disco. Real nice color.
Where did you get the oak barrel?? I'm due to smoke some cheese and was thinking about trying Jack Daniels pellets.
Gary
Thanks, Gary. The local Home Hardware carries Louisiana Grills Tennessee Whisky Barrel pellets but I am sure Jack Daniels it the same idea.

Very nice, Disco - Havarti is one of my favorites to smoke - that and Gouda are the ones I do the most. It helps that Cash and Carry have large blocks of Havarti that are inexpensive.

Very nice, Disco - Havarti is one of my favorites to smoke - that and Gouda are the ones I do the most. It helps that Cash and Carry have large blocks of Havarti that are inexpensive.
My wife is big on smoked gouda but cheese prices here are high and gouda is very expensive. Jealous, Buddy!

Disco

Great looking cheese Disco, I'm glad your restocked. Although I mostly do cheddar I do try to slip in a Gouda once in a while.

Chris

Great looking cheese Disco, I'm glad your restocked. Although I mostly do cheddar I do try to slip in a Gouda once in a while.

Chris
Thanks for the point, Chris. Variety in your cheese is a gouda thing. Don't hate me.

Disco

Yes sir they waiting for T-Day kids will most likely never do anything like this LAZY
But as you and our fellow SMF we will continue to keep it going Thank You for all of what you provide
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky