Smoked Cheese Stuffed Bourbon Glazed Meatloaf (Heavy Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been toying with this idea for a few days and decided to pull the trigger yesterday. We had a labor reprieve from yard work due to nasty weather. Spent some time in the garage working on a new (and very creative) metal fabrication project for my beloved Tracy and shut down about 2:00 to get dinner started. Turned out I didn't have any ground beef so got out four 6-ounce 85/15 hamburgers and used that as the base for the meatloaf.

The culprits.
001.jpg

Got the meat all mixed up and the right consistency. Took about 2/3 of it and formed the bottom of the meatloaf.
002.jpg

Add a bunch of Cooper's extra sharp white American cheese.
003.jpg

Take the last of the meat mixture and form it over the top making sure to get it as well sealed around the outside as possible.
004.jpg

Onto the smoker running pecan wood.
005.jpg

I made some beef gravy and took a small amount of that to make a bourbon reduction for the glaze. Used the cheap bourbon for this one.
006.jpg

Glaze all done. Man this stuff tastes (and smells) amazing, even using the cheap bourbon.
007.jpg

Here we are about 1 1/2 hours in. Starting to firm up and taking on a nice color.
008.jpg

Time for the first coat of glaze.
009.jpg

Did some mods to the burner system last week and this is the first time using the smoker since then. Target temp was 225 but this is where the smoker settled in so I just left it alone.
010.jpg

Making a white cheddar cream sauce.
011.jpg

Some fresh broccoli cut up and in the steamer.
012.jpg

Cheese sauce done.
013.jpg

I applied a second coat of glaze when the IT of the meatloaf hit 160. It's all done now and pulled at 165.
014.jpg

Never tried this before but ladies and gentlemen, this is what I was hoping for from the outset.
015.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve.
016.jpg

Also made some mashed taters. Needed a vessel for the gravy I made earlier. All plated up: meatloaf with a drizzle of the gravy, taters w/ gravy, and broccoli with the white cheddar cream sauce. Minimal gravy on the meatloaf because I didn't want to obliterate the melted cheese inside.
017.jpg

Yep....you got it :emoji_laughing:
018.jpg

This was outstanding and only my 2nd successful meatloaf. I'd always tried following somebody else's recipe and was underwhelmed every time. Finally tossed all of those recipes and just went with instinct. The results were a resounding success. The addition of the cheese in the middle was truly fantastic but that bourbon reduction glaze is what really set it over the top. Man that was incredible!! Only burned a couple chunks of pecan wood because ground meat can take on a LOT of smoke flavor in a hurry. Had the perfect smokiness: light but no doubt you were eating BBQ. All in all a very successful meal and one we thoroughly enjoyed.

Gonna call this one done. Got a fat dog pawing at me for her morning walk and need to get breakfast going for my dearly beloved. Y'all take care and see everybody soon....andthanks for stickingthis one out if you made it all the way to the end.

Robert

Looks fantastic! Smoked meatloaf is one of my favorite things for comfort food. That cheese sounds awesome too. I have sharp yellow American near me and it’s one of my favs for a good standard cheeseburger. I bet the white is awesome too.

Reactions: JLeonard
We love a smoked meatloaf. And yours looks excellent. Love the melted cheese in it also. I've used mozzarella pearls mixed into the meat also to good results.

Jim

Reactions: Buckeyedude
That meal looks fantastic Robert!
You took the ultimate comfort food & brought it to a new level!
Nicely done!
Al

Looks great, with no cheese oozing prior to plating. I notice you got that "cheap bourbon" shot in there twice. I'm guessing the TN folks will be along shortly.

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
Another standard brought up too the Robert level, looks awesome! I bet a leftover sammie the next day dunked in the gravy should be on deck!.

Reactions: JLeonard
Love me some smoked meatloaf and yours looks great!

Looks fantastic Robert. Good all round comfort food that's been taken to the next level. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Man oh Man oh Man. That looks awesome Robert. You nailed it. We have different means of cheap bourbon though! My go to anymore is Henry McKenna. Get a handle for $20 and it pretty good.

Sir that right there not only sounds and looks amazing I agree that even cheep whiskey/bourbon can make a truly delicious glaze! Can’t wait to try this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky