Smoked Bluefish With Amaranth!!! Fantastic!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Happy new week all!

Today's smoked bluefish, resting upon amaranth and cut-leaf spinach with chopped raw elephant garlic, (and just cayenne and olive oil added at the table as seasonings); was tremendous!

The fish literally fell apart upon touch!

*25 minutes on the smoker, and amazingly beautiful!!!!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah

Thank you RdKnB and DirtSailor! It was righteously delicious, minimalistically prepared, and healthful too! A win-win! As simple as that, over a hot pot of amaranth was, it was lovely!

Tomorrow I'm smoking "coffee dusted" bluefish, (using the grinds as a dry rub, which I often do with grilled steak and just adore it) and so I'm excited to see how "smoked-coffee dusted-bluefish" goes! So here's to that!

Meanwhile, Cheers and to a brand new and beautiful week! - Leah

Well today's version of this fish, ("coffee dusted" before smoking), lent a fabulous blackening, or crust to the bluefish, which was tremendous in contrast to the "melt apart" extra soft bites of this sea animal itself!

Some smoked okra, and another mound of amaranth, some spinach and raw slivers of elephant garlic, rounded it out wonderfully; and still kept the healthful aspect in balance too! (I love the coffee as a dry rub, in that it doesn't have any sodium or junk that's found in blackening spices, and yet creates a similar crunchy and fabulous coating)! Such magnificent stuff! Olive oil and red pepper flakes were added at the table, and it was beautiful!

The perfect pairing with this is Syrah, and thus Shiraz, (which is the same grape), if that is easier to find. Enjoy!

Cheers and happy October! - Leah

Looks delicious! Bluefish is one of those things that almost has to be smoked. By the way, pardon my ignorance, but what is Amaranth?

Thank you MdBoatBum! It really was wonderful!

As for amaranth, it's an ancient grain, (you boil it in water and get a cream of wheat or hot porridge type dish, albeit wheat-free), that's super healthful, delicious, and non-bloating, unlike many grains and such.

It makes for a fabulous "carb," or side, and can be doctored up with mushrooms, spices, or whatever one wishes to add in!  I usually add much chopped garlic, and oil and herbs. Delicious!

Cheers and warm wishes, Leah

Hi Marteenhook! Yes, it was so delicious! I'm doing one more version of it this weekend, just to get it mastered, and with some smoked red garnet yam and asparagus with smoked paprika! Happy October!!! Cheers, Leah

Happy Sunday Great Smoked Cookies!

Here's one more attempt at the smoked bluefish in the coffee dusted way - fantastic - from today's lunch.

Now I'll stop inundating with a zillion bluefish pics, as I alas got it right! (The texture contrast of the coffee coating against the soft fish was terrific)!

Next weekend, comes something different and really special!

Meanwhile, Cheers and happy Sunday to all! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky