• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

fat content guess?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

in. pred

Smoking Fanatic
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Messages
554
Reaction score
601
if i use 1/4# lean fresh ground pork in 1# of ground deer. what would you guess fat content to be? im guessing maybe 10-12%? i know there is no way of knowing for sure but whats your guess? am i in the range?

when i fry the ground pork sausage, as patties, there is very little fat coming out. thats why i say its on the lean side. i get it from local chop shop.
 
less than 10 % I would think, it will not produce juicy sausage. I would use fatty pork instead as venison is lean.
Butchers use a lot of scraps and quite a lot of fat for their mince so if the meat is minced already than it might be fattier than they claim, which for this application would be a plus
 
wow as low as 5%! that is killer! that allows me to guess it at 10% without feeling im lying. lol
Let's guess your lean pork sausage is 20% fat
Mixing with lean meat you are probably around 5% total fat

I would work it back to a " per pound " amount , so 3/4 lb. deer meat and 1/4 lb . store bought .
Just using the numbers you put out .
im sorry i guess i typed that wrong. i meant 3/4# deer 1/4# pork. bigger batches i do 3#- 1# ratio.

less than 10 % I would think, it will not produce juicy sausage. I would use fatty pork instead as venison is lean.
Butchers use a lot of scraps and quite a lot of fat for their mince so if the meat is minced already than it might be fattier than they claim, which for this application would be a plus
this is for summer sausage logs i roll. the goal was lean healthier summer sausage. you know, without the grease film coating your teeth and tongue. im surprised that i get a good enough bind with that low of fat content! but as you seen on my posts its just as firm as regular casing store bought stuff. "dry" isnt a word that comes to mind while eating it. im convinced the key is in the mixing.

at 10% or less fat i think ive reached my goal. you can snack on summer sausage without eating more fat than a steak.
 
I make 25lb batches of bulk Italian sausage using deer/elk and pork butts. I aim for a 75/25 mixture to get a lean amount of fat in the sausage. Keep in mind I use the entire pork butt with the fat cap. The sausage hold together with very little grease left in the pan when we cook it for use in spaghetti or for whatever we would use ground beef for.
 
wow as low as 5%! that is killer! that allows me to guess it at 10% without feeling im lying. lol
...

im sorry i guess i typed that wrong. i meant 3/4# deer 1/4# pork. bigger batches i do 3#- 1# ratio.
...
When you are using a 3 to 1 ratio, divide your fat content by 4 to get the final tally when mixed.
20% / 4 ~ 5%
30% / 4 ~ 7.5%
 
not much fat coming out of these either. maybe 1/4 tsp. lol no casing summer sausages. the mix is posted in another thread.
IMG_3835.JPG

cooked at 215* to 160*int.
the inside. lean and juicy.
IMG_3840.JPG
 
That's more bologna than sausage. I use whole pork butt and deer to make bologna so you can increase the fat. BUT if using pork fat and pork cook to 140 - 145 and hold the IT there 10 - 15 minutes. Higher fat content and higher temps and you'll get fat out pretty easy.

I figure Pork butt is 25% and I am about 13% on my bologna.

If making true sausage I like 25 - 30% or it feels dry and cake like.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky