Smoked Beef Tenderloin, Reverse Seared with Q-View

Discussion in 'Beef' started by teeznuts, Dec 8, 2011.

1. teeznuts

teeznuts Master of the Pit

I know, I know! The beef gods are angry and they're probably plotting my demise. This is a cut that should be cooked hot and fast on the grill but I've been wanting to try it smoked.

Anyway today was my dad's 64th bday and he loves "surf & turf". Last night I called my mom and told her I would handle the "turf" if she would make her tempura shrimp which is dad's favorite. I headed off to Winco and picked up this strip of tenderloin. I've been eyeing these for a while and finally pulled the trigger on one.

[​IMG]

Trimmed off the silver skin and some fat then tied it up to give it a more even thickness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rubbed with some EVOO and seasoned with Pappy's choice seasoning then bagged up in the fridge over night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brought it out for about 30 minutes to take the chill off then in the MES at 225 with an AMNPS full of Todd's cherry and oak pellets.

[​IMG]

As IT hit 130 I fired up the grill. Once IT was 137 I took it out of the MES and threw it on the grill for 2 minutes top and bottom and 1 minute each side side to get a little sear action going.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All done. After a little rest it'll be slicing time.

[​IMG]

Now this is actually over done for my taste but mom and dad don't like rare meat and dad was guest of honor. If it was for me I'd pull it at 127-130 then a quick sear.

[​IMG]

But it was still melt in your mouth tender and had a great smoky taste. Mom and dad actually put theres under the broiler for a minute or two because this was still too rare for them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoked tenderloin, tempura shrimp and asparagus with cream horseradish and ploisin(plum sauce and hoisin sauce mixed) for dipping. Yum!!!

[​IMG]

I would totally smoke one again. Thanks for looking.

2. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

That looks awesome and a good price on the Beef...Ploisin?...Got to try it...JJ

3. elohel

elohel Smoke Blower

Am I crazy or does that say $25?! That would be $60 here ($10/lb). Nice!

That looks great. Like you, I would prefer it med-rare, but hey, sometimes you gotta sacrifice a little. I'm sure it was still delicious :D 

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Awesome looking tenderloin!

We like it rare too, but at that price you could have done two of them.

5. kydave

kydave Smoke Blower

Wonderful! I'm hungry! 

6. Really nice lookin' Tenderloin there. Like most I would have mine Med Rare.

My wife on the other hand looked at it almost gagged. No red meat for her. lol

Happy Smokin'

Mike

7. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Better to have it rare than overcook and ruined. Might cut it in half and do a medium for the folks and the other rare.

...Nice job and I am going to have to try this one...looks like the better of both worlds, smoked yet grilled. This method would work on other meats too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Great looking tenderloin...that's the same price they show up for here now and then...I smoked one the same way and they are excellent!!! Your meal looks Fantastic and i'm sure Dad was impressed with his birthday dinner. [​IMG]

9. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

That is just perfect I want to do one of those but I just can`t justify 10 bucks a lb for any kind of meat....GREAT JOB !  Maybe I will change my attutide one day about that.[​IMG]

10. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It looks great congrets on your dad BD

11. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great job on the entire process. Tying it up to make it even is a  really good move.  Man that looks tasty. I love the shrimp and asparagus too 

12. Looks delicious and medium rare.  It's a beautiful piece of meat when done right.

13. teeznuts

Thanks to all.

Ya I just take some plum sauce and hoisin and mix them together. i call it ploisin cuz it sounds cool like poison, gets peoples attention.

Ya it's $5.98 lb here and this cut has been that price for at least 2 years. It's crazy cuz I've paid close to that for a tri-tip in sumer time when there weren't any on sale.

I like mine red and bloody but the wife, the parents and the in-laws all like their meat brown so I compromise. Plus I'm usually outnumbered.[​IMG]

These were only $5.98 lb which is more than I like to pay for meat but you figure there's no bone to pay for and very little waste. See if they have these out your way.

14. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now thats one fine looking dinner. I have a b-day coming up and will you cook the same for me and the wife. Awesome Job

15. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I thought the tying up was a nice touch as well. I have not ever thought of doing that with a tenderloin, but  it makes sense to me.

16. bigcase

bigcase Smoke Blower

That is one awesome looking plate of food!!  Cant go wrong with surf and turf.

17. Looks perfect to me. And at that price!!!!

18. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice

I've gotta try one of these real soon, thanks for sharing.

P.S. Love the sauce idea too [​IMG]

19. teeznuts

That's every day price believe it or not! I don't know why it took so long to try it.

Thanks it's awesome. Not too sweet and different from traditional dipping sauces.

20. owlcreeksmoker4

owlcreeksmoker4 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

looks absolutely delicious, great job on both the meat and your mums cookin!!