Smoked Beef French Onion Soup Per jcam222 (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I don't know if it's appropriate to start this in a new thread but I didn't want to hijack his. When I read the post by jcam222 jcam222 about his smoked beef French onion soup, I was blown away. It was just too gorgeous not to make, so I did. There were a couple things I changed up but somewhat followed his directions. I made the recipe up as I went and wrote it all down. Here's what I managed to make following his lead:

Chopped sweet onions in the Dutch Oven with a quarter pound of butter
016.jpg

I used smoked Chuck roast instead of brisket along with the yummy juices from the Chuck
017.jpg

Add the stock and spices. Let simmer for a while
020.jpg

A bowl of the soup with toasted butter and garlic bread
022.jpg

About a half pound of Havarty cheese then under the broiler
023.jpg

Toasted and amazing melted, gooey cheese.
024.jpg

Well folks, jcam222 posted a blue ribbon winner with this one!! It was truly spectacular. Would I call what I made "French" onion soup? No. Would I call it spectacular? Oh Hell yes!! This was SOOOOO good!! The only real issue was that after coming out of the broiler it was so freakin' hot you couldn't eat it. You're sitting there with this tantalizing bowl of soup that you can't touch without burning the daylights out of yourself :emoji_anguished:

Here is the recipe exactly as I made it:

1 large sweet onion chopped
1 lb smoked beef
¼ pound of butter
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ T Beef bouillon
2 t Black pepper
1 t Garlic powder
½ t Rosemary
½ t Anise
½ t salt

-Saute onion in butter on medium heat till translucent
-Add broth and all spices. Simmer on low approximately 30 minutes till onion is soft and flavors have melded.
-Put soup in bowl and add toasted, buttered, garlic bread
-Top with any good melting cheese and put under broiler till cheese is melted and starting to brown.
-Eat with caution. It will be hot!!

As with all recipes, they are subject to taste. For my taste and Tracy's, the only thing I'll do differently next time is to omit the Rosemary. I was OK with it but not thrilled. Tracy loved the soup but didn't care at all for the Rosemary so by unanimous decision, it will not be added in the future. She has already asked me to make a batch of this just for her to take to work for her lunches. It was that good!! When you take into account that I have a dozen or more soup recipes I've put together, mostly based on her tastes, for her to ask for this one is pretty remarkable. Over the next few weeks though, as the weather hopefully starts to cool down, I'll make several batches.

Thank you jcam!! Awesome stuff,
Robert

Wow that looks delicious! I love French onion soup. Admittedly, I haven’t made the real deal in a while, but I’ll doctor up a can and top with toasted bread and smoked cheese. Because I usually eat it myself.

If you didn’t like the rosemary in it, what about swapping out for thyme?

With you and jcam posting those mouthwatering bowls...I’m gonna make it soon.

Like!

Reactions: jcam222
If you didn’t like the rosemary in it, what about swapping out for thyme?

Thank you for the recommendation but we aren't fans of thyme either. Matter of fact, with the hundreds of spices I have in the pantry, there is no thyme or sage and the Rosemary is about to go bye-bye.

Robert

Yours looks great!! You cheesed it up good like it did my bowl!!

Yes sir!! You set the bar and I had to at least make an attempt at meeting it. We are cheese junkies so there is some on almost everything we eat. I just LOVE the melted and slightly crusted cheese on this soup though. It's just so good!!

Robert

I don't know if it's appropriate to start this in a new thread but I didn't want to hijack his. When I read the post by jcam222 jcam222 about his smoked beef French onion soup, I was blown away. It was just too gorgeous not to make, so I did. There were a couple things I changed up but somewhat followed his directions. I made the recipe up as I went and wrote it all down. Here's what I managed to make following his lead:

Chopped sweet onions in the Dutch Oven with a quarter pound of butter
View attachment 408079

I used smoked Chuck roast instead of brisket along with the yummy juices from the Chuck
View attachment 408080

Add the stock and spices. Let simmer for a while
View attachment 408081

A bowl of the soup with toasted butter and garlic bread
View attachment 408082

About a half pound of Havarty cheese then under the broiler
View attachment 408083

Toasted and amazing melted, gooey cheese.
View attachment 408084

Well folks, jcam222 posted a blue ribbon winner with this one!! It was truly spectacular. Would I call what I made "French" onion soup? No. Would I call it spectacular? Oh Hell yes!! This was SOOOOO good!! The only real issue was that after coming out of the broiler it was so freakin' hot you couldn't eat it. You're sitting there with this tantalizing bowl of soup that you can't touch without burning the daylights out of yourself :emoji_anguished:

Here is the recipe exactly as I made it:

1 large sweet onion chopped
1 lb smoked beef
¼ pound of butter
2 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ T Beef bouillon
2 t Black pepper
1 t Garlic powder
½ t Rosemary
½ t Anise
½ t salt

-Saute onion in butter on medium heat till translucent
-Add broth and all spices. Simmer on low approximately 30 minutes till onion is soft and flavors have melded.
-Put soup in bowl and add toasted, buttered, garlic bread
-Top with any good melting cheese and put under broiler till cheese is melted and starting to brown.
-Eat with caution. It will be hot!!

As with all recipes, they are subject to taste. For my taste and Tracy's, the only thing I'll do differently next time is to omit the Rosemary. I was OK with it but not thrilled. Tracy loved the soup but didn't care at all for the Rosemary so by unanimous decision, it will not be added in the future. She has already asked me to make a batch of this just for her to take to work for her lunches. It was that good!! When you take into account that I have a dozen or more soup recipes I've put together, mostly based on her tastes, for her to ask for this one is pretty remarkable. Over the next few weeks though, as the weather hopefully starts to cool down, I'll make several batches.

Thank you jcam!! Awesome stuff,
Robert
We just introduced a similar soup to a resturantuer and he is in the process of adding it to the menu.
This idea is an absolutely fabulous "twist" traditional French onion soup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky