Smoked Bear Loaf (Hot---All Beef)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Smoked Bear Loaf (Hot--All Beef)

After doing a Venison Bacon about a year ago (pre-mix), and finding it rather bland, I thought I would try using the same method for some All Beef Bologna.
The mixes I used were very similar to the ones I used in my Unstuffed Beef Sticks, and my Smoked Bear Logs, except this batch is hotter.
My son said my other stuff needed more heat, so I added it. I think these are just about right, and so does he.
So I bought 25 pounds of 80/20 Ground Beef ($2.49). The total was actually 24.9 pounds---Close enough.
I broke it down into 2 more manageable batches (12 1/2 pounds each), and mixed my ingredients.

#1 Mix

Make 2 batches of the following:

Black Pepper-----------------------------1 1/2 TBS
Red Pepper Flakes----------------------1 1/2 TBS
Cayenne Pepper-------------------------1 1/2 TBS
Mustard Seed-----------------------------1 1/2 TBS
Fennel Seed (slightly crushed)--------1 1/2 TBS
Anise Seed--------------------------------1 1/2 TBS
Italian Seasoning-------------------------1 TBS
Garlic Powder-----------------------------1 1/2 tsp
Onion Powder-----------------------------1 1/2 tsp

#2 Mix

Make 2 batches of the following:

Tender Quick--------------------3 1/8 ounce
Soy Sauce------------------------5 ounces
Ice Water-------------------------7 ounces
Stir until TQ is dissolved, and put in fridge.
Any amounts of the ingredients above can be changed to suit your tastes, except the TQ.
The amount should be 1/4 ounce (1/2 TBS) of TQ per every pound of Ground Meat.
Prepare 4 Foil Pans (9" X 12"), by covering the inside with plastic wrap, leaving enough extra on the outside to cover the meat after you put it in the pans.

Mixing:
Now spread one of your 12 1/2 pound batches of Ground Beef in whatever your going to mix it in (I use a large bowl).
I like to poke a whole bunch of holes in the ground beef with my fingers, before I pour the seasoning in.
Mix one batch of #1 Mix, with one batch of #2 Mix together, and pour it over all of your ground beef.
Now Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix & Mix, until it is mixed as well as possible, and gets a little on the sticky side.

Panning:
Now put half of that first batch into each of the first 2 pans. Press it down real good & work it a little to get rid of as many air pockets & cracks in the meat as possible.
Level it out nice, and fold over the excess plastic wrap to cover well.
Put these pans in the fridge.
Now repeat the same thing with the other 12 1/2 pounds of meat & the other 2 pans.
Keep these 4 pans in the fridge over night.

This next step I do, because I have room in an extra fridge:
I take the pans out, and flip them over, upside down on my smoker racks. Then I remove the pans & plastic wrap.
I put the racks in my fridge over night again to dry somewhat on the outside & form a pellicle.

[[[[ If you don't have an extra fridge with room, I would take them out the next day, put them on the racks, and put them right in the smoker. Then I would turn the heat to about 140˚ for 2 hours, without smoke]]]]

Smoking Day:
Remove racks with meat loaves from fridge, and put them in your pre-heated (150˚) smoker.
Re-set smoker to 140˚, without smoke, for 1 hour (Except the ones in blue above).
After that first hour (or two), begin adding your smoke (I used Hickory, as usual).
Leave your temp at 140˚ for a total of 4 hours.
Change heat to 160˚ for another 2 hours.
Change to 180˚ for another 2 hours.
Change to 200˚ until the internal temps hit 165˚ (They will probably all not hit that temp at the same time).
Remove, and allow to cool down by soaking in cold water.
Then run some hot water on them to rinse off any fatty oils that came to the surface.
Dry well with paper towels, and put in fridge over night (unwrapped).
Next day slice however you want.

Note: Next time I will make 3 loaves at 7 pounds each, because 7 pounds will fit better in those pans, and 3 loaves will fit better in my MES 40 than 4 did.

Having two on the top shelf blocked too much air flow.

Qview to follow.

Thanks for looking,

Bear

All of my seasonings, except the soy sauce & TQ:
DSC02188-1.jpg

First two loaves in their pans:
DSC02192-1.jpg

Two loaves ready for smoker:
DSC02196-1.jpg

Taste test---Just right!
DSC02201-1.jpg

A peek through the window:
DSC02207-1.jpg

Perfect smoke---Picture a bit blurry.
Sink Strainer over my Top Vent keeps Bugs out of my Smoker:
DSC02209-1.jpg

Four Smoked Bear Loaves (All Beef):
DSC02211-1.jpg

All sliced up:
DSC02213-1.jpg

Vacuum packed and ready for freezer:
DSC02219-1.jpg

That's All Folks!

Last edited:
Looks delicious!!

Thanks for the step by step and the great pictures!!

Craig

Bear

Looks awesome now its on my list.

Hmmmm

Maybe for the smokeout perhaps.

Great post Bear (as usual)

The sliced pics look awesome!

This recipe looks similar to the Bear Log recipe in your signature,

I havn't tried this yet, But the beef stick recipe was great!

Thanks for postin this one 
77.gif

Looks GREAT Bear!

I like the Bear Loaf much better than the Bear Turds, I mean Bear Sticks you previously made.
77.gif

Those look great my friend. Do you need my address or do you still have it?

Bear

Looks awesome now its on my list.

Hmmmm

Maybe for the smokeout perhaps.
Thanks Nepas!

They take quite awhile to get done, I guess because of their size.

Bear

tasty looking! 
drool.gif
Thanks Couger!

Great post Bear (as usual)

The sliced pics look awesome!

This recipe looks similar to the Bear Log recipe in your signature,

I havn't tried this yet, But the beef stick recipe was great!

Thanks for postin this one 
77.gif
Thanks Rap!

The Sticks are very mild.

The Logs have a little bit more heat than the sticks.

These Loaves are hotter than the others, but I don't think too hot for guys on this forum, because I think I like heat less than most SMFers.

Bear

Awesome bear.......Nice color and thanks for the step by step. I love big batches......
77.gif

Looks great Bear! Thank-you for another awesome step by step tutorial. Your making it easy for anyone to duplicate what you have done.

Looks GREAT Bear!

I like the Bear Loaf much better than the Bear Turds, I mean Bear Sticks you previously made.
77.gif
Thanks Todd!!!

LOL---That should be:

Sticks, Logs, and now loaves.  Bears don't make turds!  They make flops (pies), like cows do.  
roflmao.gif

Bear

Those look great my friend. Do you need my address or do you still have it?
Thanks Buddy!

Didn't you get it yet?

Bear

your killin me!
LOL---Nope---Just trying to get even!

Bear

Please excuse my ignorance but what is this stuff?  Is it a fully-cooked meatloaf?  How do you eat it?
It's just a different form of Beef Stick, or Beef Bologna. I'm always trying different ways to make sausage type things, without stuffing them, because I like the smoke they end up with, when the smoke doesn't have to go through a skin. This stuff is great cold, even better Nuked for about 30 seconds, but absolutely fantastic when I throw a couple slices in a greased fry pan just long enough to get all bubbly & warm!!!!

Bear

It's bear loaf, I'd fry up some get some good sourdough and miricle whip myself. 
icon14.gif
Hmm, Never tried something this spicy, with MW----But I will.

Awesome bear.......Nice color and thanks for the step by step. I love big batches......
77.gif
Thanks Joe!

Bear

This looks incredible,  Have you ever tried this with venison??? 
thumb1%20copy.gif
Thank You!

No I haven't, but I would---Have to add some fat or some pork though.

Bear

Bear,

All I have to say is that you are the man! All your posts are so informative! And everything looks great as always! Nice smoke man!
Thank You Much!

Bear

Looks Great Bear...
Thanks Paul!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky