Smoked backfat - or how to rise your cardiolost's blood pressure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like this idea!

The Hispanic market I go to now sells the back fat just like you have in the pic. I bought some yesterday for weisswurst, but may get some more and try this soon.

Great to cook with as well. Adds a nice flavour to scrambled eggs, in pasta dishes (as you would use pancetta), soups. In the summer we roast it over the fire.

I like it best with fresh cheese and homegrown tomatoes in the summer when it "sweats" at room temps.

When I was in high school/Univ and went hiking/ camping with friends we didn't have coolers like we do now. We were travelling by train anyway. Most sites we camped at were in the mountains, herds of sheep grazing were common. A slab of this and a few onions in the rucksack, maybe a hard salami, cheese/milk bought from the shepperd...would make many a meals.

(shelf stable).

Last edited:
WOW.   That looks awesome.

I would kill for backfat like that.

I know this is an older post but I am curious as I have some brining now. Did you use cure #1 or #2? I know 1 can handle the cure and cold smoking but am curious how it handles the extended dyring and how long did you dry. Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky