SMOKED A 21# TURKEY IN 3 1/4 HOURS ON THE LANG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beautiful bird, Al. If this isn't worth a point, nothing is.

Disco

I really like the idea of parting out the bird like that.  Sure would make it a lot easier to cook and then to carve.  That's a lot of bird in a pretty short time period.

Gary
Thanks a lot guys & thanks for the points!!

Al

Ok thanks one more thing if I smoke it in a pan like you did with chicken broth, I should not need my water pan. I am using a brinkman elec smoker.

Ok thanks one more thing if I smoke it in a pan like you did with chicken broth, I should not need my water pan. I am using a brinkman elec smoker.
You won't need to put water in it, but leave it in the smoker as a heat shield.

Al

Looks mighty fine!

drool.gif

points.gif

Wow, I'm so impressed! Can I ask some newbie questions? I just joined 5 min ago :) I asked a question about collecting drippings for gravy and now I see that you smoked yours in a tray! I don't know what a Lang is, is that how it works? Or is this the way to go if you want to collect the drippings for gravy? Also, does anyone use a cheese cloth to prevent very dark coloring? I read somewhere (I have read a gazillion posts today) that a chef said that a cheese cloth covered in butter and oil keeps the bird juicy and needs to be taken off half way through the smoking. I have roasted 15+ turkeys but never smoked one. Super, duper excited! 

Wow, I'm so impressed! Can I ask some newbie questions? I just joined 5 min ago :) I asked a question about collecting drippings for gravy and now I see that you smoked yours in a tray! I don't know what a Lang is, is that how it works? Or is this the way to go if you want to collect the drippings for gravy? Also, does anyone use a cheese cloth to prevent very dark coloring? I read somewhere (I have read a gazillion posts today) that a chef said that a cheese cloth covered in butter and oil keeps the bird juicy and needs to be taken off half way through the smoking. I have roasted 15+ turkeys but never smoked one. Super, duper excited! 
I prefer to smoke chickens & turkeys in a pan.

I think you get a juicier bird that way.

However most guys put the bird on the grate with a pan on the grate below it to catch the juices.

A Lang is just the name of a company that builds offset smokers.

I personally have never used cheesecloth & can't comment on whether it works or not.

Good luck with your turkey!

Al

Have you tried this method with a spatchcocked turkey instead of parting it out? This year I will attempt my first smoked turkey breast in my new Pit Boss pellet grill (Couldn't afford a Treager :)). so far ribs, brisket, chicken have all turned out really well I don't expect this breast to be an issue but I like the pan idea, never tried that one. That bird looks phenomenal! Can almost smell it from here.

Have you tried this method with a spatchcocked turkey instead of parting it out? This year I will attempt my first smoked turkey breast in my new Pit Boss pellet grill (Couldn't afford a Treager :)). so far ribs, brisket, chicken have all turned out really well I don't expect this breast to be an issue but I like the pan idea, never tried that one. That bird looks phenomenal! Can almost smell it from here.
That's the way I used to do them, spatchcocked in a pan.

I just started parting them out & I like it better this way, because I always had a problem getting the thighs & breast done exactly at the same time.

Now if one gets done early I just pull it out.

I pull the breast at 157 & the thighs at 175-180.

My experience has been that if I go above 157 the breast starts to dry out.

And if I don't go to at least 175 the thighs are tough.

After a half hour rest the carry over cooking will get the breast to 165.

Here's a chicken I did a couple of months ago.

Hope this helps!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky