SMOKE HOUSE PLANS & MATERIAL'S plus 1st Q-Views

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tennsmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
Clarksville, Tn
OK SMF, I have looked thru "I think" all the smoke house plan's in the forum, so I said to myself I can do that!!

I have taken the plunge bought the materials, drawn up some plans & would really appreciate any suggestion's you have or any comment, just want to make sure I am going in the rightr direction, here are some early pic's.

Thanks ,

Al

The plan's:

3 pieces 4'X8' X 19/32" thick.  Home depot made the 2 cuts on the plywood free. The 1'X72"  (3 pcs) will be used for the back. That way I only had to buy 3 sheets plywood.

The B/P

As you can see the overall size is 3ft X 6ft with two doors.

This is how I plan on fabricating the back.

The cutouts for the doors.

The 3 sheets 3'X6' plywood (2 sides & front)

The 3 pcs on the right are the 1'X6' access (to make the back)

The 1'X4' strips will be used to strengthen the back panel.

All the material I bought today: 9-14-2012

(3) sheets 19/32" 4'X8'  plywood = $71.91

(2) 2"X4" X12'  for the base = $11.47

(2) 1"X3" for the back strips = $2.78

(4) 2"X2" corner strips = 6.52 

1 box screws = $6.47

Total = $108.21

Feel free to comment,

Al

Last edited:
I got my wood all laid out and made one cut "only one" started to rain here in Tenn. Covered everthing up & try again tomorrow....

Al

Last edited:
Al, morning.....   How's the build coming ???   
popcorn.gif
 ....  Is it still raining ??     

Good Morning Dave & other SMF Members, for an UPDATE:

the answer is YES it's raining NOW & has been off & on since I started my build!! 
hissyfit.gif
(Clarksville, Tn.) 

Went to Nashville to purchase the burner, same one Pops used in his smoke house, Northern Tools did not have it on hand because it's a seasonal item, but they are in stock for ordering when I get to that point.

Having to work this project outside because my mustang is in the garage!! bummer!! Won't take long once I get things going.

Thanks again for inquiring, will post updates & pic's when I make some progress,

al

Last edited:
SMOKE HOUSE UPDATE,

Made some progress today on my smoke house

The bottom. Installed the 2x4 this way because I will be attaching them to post in the ground.

Fabricated the back also & cut to 68"

The 2 sides trimmed to 68" for the side attach

Maybe more next few days, thanks for looking or commenting

Al

Reactions: jason wilson

Morning SMF,

One more word about the bottom base, for anyone following that may want to build or just follow my progress.

As you can see there are two support 2x4's installed in the middle, one of them is to cover the gap where from the two pieces trim from the original 4x8's I had cut off.  Maybe more Q-Views today.

Al 

NOTE:

And by the way Nepas that is a great looking Smoke House you have there.  Mine will be simular not exact, I am using yours & Pops as a pattern. I'm sure you guy's don't mind.

Al

Last edited:
Last edited:
TENN SMOKE HOUSE PROGRESS REPORT,

started about 9am & quit about 5, working alone so it takes time.

From top left, the right side, back, front panel's and base all ready to make a smoke house

Better pic of the front panel, it's upside dwn in this pic

The side panel ready to be attached

Another view of the left side being attached, that's my little helper underneath

Both sides attached or in the process

Different view of the sides and how I had to hold everything together

Both sides sides attached and the back panel is next to put on

Two sides and back panels attached, slow going but it will be worth it when finished.

Shows to be plumb!!

Top and bottom plumb

It's standing on it's own I guess that a good thing..

Another pic, side view

Covered it up for the nite might rain,should get the doors finish trimmed tomorrow..

Hopefully this build will help someone that may start to build a smoke house, I had looked at almost if not all the smoke house threads b/4 I started and gained a little knowledge from quite a few, so thanks to all those that shared their smoke house build.
beercheer.gif

al 

aw yea forget to mention:

#1 I rec'd the burner from Northern Tools, same burner that Pops & I believe Nepas uses

#2 If you looked at the original layout the main door cutout was 22 inches wide, I chg'd the width to 26, so I could

reach into the smoke house better.

Last edited:
Maybe I need to start a new thread for this question, if I do let me know.

Need some help with the air inlet and exhaust for this smoke house, the size is 3'X3'x6'. I have purchased 2 mobile home register's

which measures 4x8, here's the link http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ngId=-1&keyword=mobile+register&storeId=10051

I installed one of them but not sure if I should install the other one!!  Also my exhaust is a 4" elbow with a 2 foot length pipe extension attached. Haven't installed this yet.

Any help is appreciated,

al

Al, afternoon.... Consider 2 registers for air in and 2 for air out.... I wouldn't think the 4" would be needed...  Dave

Evening Dave,

I was sorta going by the Q-View that Nepas had sent (see earlier post) on this thread. I purchased the 4" elbow with a 2 foot length pipe extension similar to his. On his smoker he may have another intake and exhaust mounted in the back, I don't know!!

Correct me If I'm wrong but you are saying that for better air circulation it's best to have the same sq in inlet & exhaust?

I was thinking, (that could be bad), you would have good air flow and circulation for moisture and smoke... Put the vents under the eaves on opposite sides.... If need be, if they could close, then when the wind was blowing, the vent might be closed on the windward side.... Also would keep the bugs out when not in use...  Good thorough air circulation is a plus when smoking... There was a smoker built a few months ago like yours.... I'll try to find it... he used 2 vents on the bottom and 2 on the top...   maybe we can get some info on how it worked.....   

I'll be back......  Dave

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/126592/done-at-last-the-money-pit-smokehouse-is-finished

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/search.php?search=*:*&advanced=1&sort=lastupdate&order=descending&searchtype=thread&createdbyuserid[]=51665

The top link is Gary's finished project.... the 2nd link is the many threads during his build.....    

It looks like the basic design is the same and lots of ideas can be used to avoid having to redo stuff....  I'm sure he would answer any questions you may have.....  The burner is one Pops6927 found and has 3 independent burner controls for heat....  seems to work very well for smokers like your design....   

Hope this helps....    Dave

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky