Smoke Hollow 38, 44, whole packer, and temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin-n-carolina

Original poster
May 8, 2018
Jamestown, NC
Hi to all. I am looking at purchasing a Smoke Hollow 38. Could someone who owns one tell me if a whole packer brisket will fit across the racks. I have also looked at the 44, which I am sure would hold a packer, but am not sure I need that much space. I also like to smoke bacon, jerky, and sausages. How is the temp control on these two on the low end. I have been using a Weber kettle or old OK Joe offset and try to keep temps around 200 for this purpose. Apologies if these have been covered in other threads.

I have no idea, but I can float you back up.
I would think you could. Somebody with a brain should be along soon.

It probably depends on what packer you are thinking of.
A quarter back, likely. A fullback or lineman might be a bit of a squeeze.

1000px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

You've got to be careful how you word things with an urchin like me around....

Reactions: smokin-n-carolina
I have a 38 inch Smoke Hollow, I have been able to fit 15 lb. full packer brisket on the rack. I find the temperature control to be much better than the Masterbuilt I had previously. I usually run my smoker in the 230 - 240 range on most cooks, but I’m sure you should be able to hold a 200* F.

Reactions: smokin-n-carolina
I have no idea, but I can float you back up.
I would think you could. Somebody with a brain should be along soon.

It probably depends on what packer you are thinking of.
A quarter back, likely. A fullback or lineman might be a bit of a squeeze.

1000px-Green_Bay_Packers_logo.svg.png

You've got to be careful how you word things with an urchin like me around....

Ray Nitschke definitely would not fit! Maybe Mason Crosby? LOL

I have a 38 inch Smoke Hollow, I have been able to fit 15 lb. full packer brisket on the rack. I find the temperature control to be much better than the Masterbuilt I had previously. I usually run my smoker in the 230 - 240 range on most cooks, but I’m sure you should be able to hold a 200* F.
Thanks. Sounds like it will work great. No need to go to the larger model. I guess I am regressing. I have had a OK Joe for 15 years, a Weber Kettle, and a kamado. Bought a portable Masterbuilt for camping and love it. OK Joe is getting old and swmbo wants to move it off the patio. I want something a little less time consuming. Looks like this is it. Great trade off for me. OK Joe will just be in an area out of sight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky