Pulled pork smoking temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
Really enjoy this forum. Been gone a while. Work and a small farm. Also my smoker was broken. I fixed the smoker and am now retired. I have been smoking my butts at 225 degrees for twelve hours. I read recently that I can smoke at 300 degrees for 6 hours (7-8 pounds). Will this work and turn out as well as the 225 degrees at 12 hours?

Reactions: JLeonard
Really enjoy this forum. Been gone a while. Work and a small farm. Also my smoker was broken. I fixed the smoker and am now retired. I have been smoking my butts at 225 degrees for twelve hours. I read recently that I can smoke at 300 degrees for 6 hours (7-8 pounds). Will this work and turn out as well as the 225 degrees at 12 hours?
I smoked a 9 pound butt on Wednesday. Kettle was running 280-310° the whole time. I pulled it off after about 6 hours when it hit the stall ~165°. Also kettle temps were starting to fall and the weather was getting nasty. Put it in a pan covered with foil and into a 350° oven till it hit 210° internal and probed tender. This was another hour or two. It was still too early for dinner so I just let it rest in the pan in the oven till dinner. It was the first time I've done it this way and the wife said it was the best I ever made.

I do typically run the smoker closer to 300° though, but really whatever temp between 225° and 325° it styles in at is where I leave it. Ymmv, but lots of folks on here like to run hot and fast.

I recommend 250-275 and smoke un wrapped for about 10 hours or wrap and finish in 7-8 hours, but never to time, always to probe tender which will be around 205 but the probe with a skewer tells the true story. Should go in and out like pushing into a jug of peanut butter.

I was thinking 6 hours seemed a bit too short. I have a 7 pounder in the fridge going int the smoker Monday. I do cook to temp. 205-210 degrees.

Reactions: JLeonard
I typically run at 275° or so. You won't find any noticeable difference from one cooked at 225° other than it takes less time to get it done.

Butts are still something I smoke closer to 250° range at least for the first 6 hours. I think I get a better overall texture.
SBs1f.jpg

That said... many competition cooks are cooking in the 300° range, but they are very selective in the particular muscles that are turned into the judges.

I cook them anywhere from 225-300 degrees. Some days it just a matter of where the smoker wants to settle in at. When it hits the stall I let it run there about an hour to see if it’s gonna break on through. If not i wrap it and finish it out. rest when probe tender.

Jim

Whistlepig, a while back our webmaster/guru Jeff featured a fast-cook version of pork butt smoked at 300 degrees. I tried it and did not notice any appreciable difference in taste or texture. So now that's my go-to. Usually takes 6-8 hours to hit 205 IT.

Reactions: DougE
Whistlepig, a while back our webmaster/guru Jeff featured a fast-cook version of pork butt smoked at 300 degrees. I tried it and did not notice any appreciable difference in taste or texture. So now that's my go-to. Usually takes 6-8 hours to hit 205 IT.
I mostly found out that hot and fast VS low and slow makes little difference on most things due to the cookers I've used over the years. It was always a fight to keep them at the old standard of 225°. I got tired of fighting them and let them run where they wanted, within reason ~300° or below with maybe some occasional swings above, and really found little difference in the end product.

My OKJ likes to settle in around 275~280° so I don't fight with it and let it run there, but even with the pellet grill, where I can easily keep temps down closer to 225°, I haven't really found much benefit in doing so.

Reactions: whistlepig
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky