SMF Cookbook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think it's a great idea, but rather than input the content into a publishable document, I think I'd benefit more by having a database or page added to SMF for just recipes by type (beef, pork, desserts, etc.).  That way, I could scroll through the list of recipes, a lot like your Table of Contents, and then click on the ones I want to look at.  You wouldn't have a printed version, but it's probably more user-friendly.  Doesn't Bear do something like that in his signature section?

Reactions: fatboycoalition
I think a database within SMF would be a great idea. Sections for each type of recipe and tags for general searching - and also space for feedback against each recipe. Maybe even a star rating. That way it keeps it internal to the forum and is not a separate publication.

Having assemble such collections and posted with links I see the "bold" aspect being willing to spend the many hours it will take to build that "web site". It will be a great service to everyone. The only downside is I have enjoyed coming across the recipes and saving them as links or a copy/paste. Don't have many but if there is one place to go I will not have the pleasure of finding one. I will get over it. Looking forward to the collection and appreciate your willingness to take it on.

I think its a great idea!!!!!   It would sure simplify life.  

Dave...unless I missed it, he didn't say anything about selling the book, so it wouldn't be commercial.

Gary
From what I understand, all this information is the intellectual property of the Forum, which is Jeff....

Any commercial or promotional distribution, publishing or exploitation of the sites, or any content, code, data or materials on the sites is strictly prohibited;

From what I understand, all this information is the intellectual property of the Forum, which is Jeff....

Any commercial or promotional distribution, publishing or exploitation of the sites, or any content, code, data or materials on the sites is strictly prohibited;
And you are the Copyright Police now?
biggrin.gif
 NO ONE is looking to Publish SMF Recipes, only Compile them to the benefit of ALL...I sent a PM to Jeff and the Mod Staff has been discussing this with great enthusiasm. It is a huge undertaking and a great benefit to members. Anyone who does not wish to participate can Opt Out and their Recipes will be removed. Here is Jeff's Response...JJ

• TulsaJeff
  • Self-proclaimed Fire Poker, Pitmaster, and Smoke Whisperer
  • badge_admin.v2990095991.png
  •  
  • 2,245 Posts. Joined 6/2005

I don't see a problem with this as long as it's just a simple compilation of recipes posted on SMF with credits to the authors and perhaps links to the original recipe post.

If a recipe author complains, he would need to be willing to remove that recipe and update the file.

Jeff Phillips | SmokingMeatForums.com Founder

Last edited:
And you are the Copyright Police now?

chef JJ, I was just looking out for the forum and the members....   Sorry if I did something wrong....  My sincere apologies....

Dave

Reactions: grillard
Sounds like a good idea.. a question if I may... will the finished product be a download (as the demo is)... or will it open when the link is clicked on (preferred) ???

Ok, enough. This is sounding like my typical day at work--like today. I am glad you guys are getting all that straight so I am going to smoke something--in my pipe and my smoker.  When it is all figured out I volunteer to help with the formatting, etc. Let me know.

points.gif

Having a centralized recipe source that is maintained is an excellent idea. I often have problems remembering where my favorite recipes can be found!

Sounds good.  And the rating system would be awesome!  I think we would have to limit the rating system to those who have actually executed the recipe.

Just like the other recipe sites, but for our tastes.

Sounds good.  And the rating system would be awesome!  I think we would have to limit the rating system to those who have actually executed the recipe.

Just like the other recipe sites, but for our tastes.
Makes me Crazy when you see a Recipe posted on a site and it's rated 5 Stars with 50 reviews and everyone of them says, " 5 Stars...Sounds Good I will have to try it some day! " How can people rate a Recipe they never tried...
hit.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
Maybe we could require "Q-view" before allowing one to rate a recipe?  Allow any comments, but only allow one to rate the recipe if you can provide "proof" of executing it?

Last edited:
My only concern about any rating system is...If you go to, " Pops Brine "...Do we want a thousand Pages of, " My Bacon with Pops Brine 5 Stars " following it? All that on top of the usual line after line of Questions, Comments, Discussion and folks going off on Tangents as is seen with other online recipes...OR...Is this just a convenient place to find a List of SMF Recipes, Pops Brine, Fasset Breakfast Sausage, Easter Ham, Etc and members can post their Q View in the appropriate Forum?...JJ

Last edited:
I agree. I think maybe a simple star rating system (1-5) with it limited to one rating per member. You will then be able to see the proportion of 1 star to 5 star - a bit like TripAdvisor

Then if you want to see the comments associated with any particular rating then you could click on the rating to open them up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky