• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

A Question for all you sausage Pros…

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Compulsive Smoker

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined
Jul 17, 2026
Messages
770
Reaction score
794
Location
Mohnton PA
On Saturday I bought a LEM sausage stuffer, and now I’m just itching to make some sausage!

I’d like to start with the recipe from Meat Church Jalapeño and Cheddar Sausage .

In this recipe it says to use natural hog casings, but what I’m wondering is, will it work to use collagen casings instead?
 
I started with edible collagen casings. Was easier starting out to avoid blow outs while getting used to the stuffer. Though, you can still get blow outs. With collagen casings you won't get the "snap"like you do with hog casings. Will be softer. Like a hot dog.
 
If making it for brats I would use natural hog casings.
Snack stick like, collagen casings are fine. I have never grilled or boiled these so can't comment on the "feel" of them.
 
I started with edible collagen casings. Was easier starting out to avoid blow outs while getting used to the stuffer. Though, you can still get blow outs. With collagen casings you won't get the "snap"like you do with hog casings. Will be softer. Like a hot dog.

Yes, it will work with edible sausage casings. As far as natural casings, be sure you buy the ones packed in brine and not packed in salt. if it says 'home pack' on the package, it is usually packed in salt. Also read over the casings sticky in the sausage forum...great info.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-to-handle-natural-casings.159729/

If making it for brats I would use natural hog casings.
Snack stick like, collagen casings are fine. I have never grilled or boiled these so can't comment on the "feel" of them.
Thanks for the info! Is there a place online that you can order natural casings in brine?
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky